Thread: Acer W500 tips and tweaks

Acer W500 tips and tweaks

Well, here we go again. I'm still when an excellent TM2 to replace my Envy 13 but until then and now that the Asus EP121 has gone to an good home, I'm once again here with an Acer W500. I'm no stranger to Acer, but I do discover their stuff to be a slight spot for next to nothing 'shiny' edge of the computing world. The Acer 1820ptz was a totally decent device but still felt inexpensive but notwithstanding that, on top of an essential 64 GB SSD, it administered a 15 second cool boot to desktop time.

re: Acer W500 tips and tweaks

Upon un-boxing the Acer w500, the introductory impression is one of value, not too considerable and not a feather weight thing that breaks if a slug inclines in opposition to it. I don't look for shocking exhibition but we'll see what we would be able to do with the thing. (It's charging). The battery existence is 6 hours, supposed 300 charge existence when the battery fails which meets around 2 years or the instant that the warranty lapses. I do wish the SSD were more gigantic but I'm certain that depending on if we get on I'll slap in an Intel 310 mSata head like I did with the EP121.

I began with the run of the usual full wipe; re-install and I had the extravagance of a USB2.0 Ethernet connector. The just programming re-commissioned was the 'Auto Screen pivot', 'Device Control Dritek' and the satellite from Win overhaul. The Audio driver missed the mark to install but I'll stay with the non specific windows one. I missed out the drivers for the keyboard/dock as I don't have one. I'd would give just about anything to now see if there's any exhibition enhancement from an intel 310 SSD but with the Asus EP121, the constraining variable was NOT the SSD, but in all probability the bus/sata/cake/jobbie thingy.

Generally speaking, for example the Asus EP121, I don't think a faster SSD will enhance the exhibition that much. This is a great device that would be able to be faster but saying that, its fast enough for what I aim to do.

The W500 had no issue with my Transcend 64Gb SDXC card. (Be warned that leaving a SD card in a computer empties the battery all the more when off or regardless it did on my ENvy 13). It additionally played 720p youtube vids at a sensible speed (I wouldn't state impeccable) but stuttered like hellfire with 1080p. The same 1080p Youtube vid downloaded played without issue. It is possible that method, I'm not really troubled with playing 1080p motion picture on a 1280x800 screen.

Playing HD videos on a 720p external video presentation through the hdmi out has been a test on account of I could not appear to identify a driver that backings GPU scaling and the underscan/overscan choices with the intention that I am able to resize the outside showcase with the goal that it fits. I should express, that is really a great issue with me. Yet with that issue I could not venture to get myself to furnish a proportional payback. I am still heading off to actually hold up for preferable flash versions and drivers alternately.

I acknowledged that the w500 makes a point not to have any multitouch offer preferences squeeze to zoom or rotate. Are there any drivers or alterations that I could probably download to build this happen? Or am I lost something that is at present on the computer such as some setting? Thank in advance

"Touch" is not part of the Win7 OS. Rather it is an overlay on top of the OS on account of the W500. Which additionally mean that whatever provision you're utilizing will need to back it. Some applications will work by default like the Nook eReader. It upholds squeeze-zoom locally, while you will need to download supplemental attachment-ins for Firefox and such.

I got my w500 final week and I tweaked it as taught with some special cases dependent upon my private taste. I don’t switch off the tablet unless it requires a restart; I actually put it to rest. I get 34 seconds startup from cold boot and 8-10 seconds from sleep.

Re: Acer W500 tips and tweaks

The W501 is essentially the same computer with 3G I think. I ran Windows 8 Developers Preview on my W500 and it worked fine. I wound up backtracking to Windows 7 for the reason that I would have been wise to utilize the Cisco VPN customer.