Thread: Is it possible to update iOs 5 on iPhone 3gs via OTA (on the air)

Is it possible to update iOs 5 on iPhone 3gs via OTA (on the air)

Hi

I'm thinking to to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to iOS5 at present but don't wish for to risk trailing any data. From apps to emails to 2 years worth of text messages keeping for both specialized and sentimental reasons I'll leave it as it is if it means losing all that info.

If and when people start making updates I'd love to hear how it went and if you notice any loss of data, if all your settings needed to be reconfigured, etc...

Thanks! In advance

Re: Is it possible to update iOs 5 on iPhone 3gs via OTA (on the air)

No I think you can’t loss anything while doing this process and there is always restore as new option

Hi, at the time i updated to IOS 5 GM i held in reserve all of my texts and contacts etc.
    If the GM is the similar as the final release which people are axiom it will be then with any luck they must stay too

If you perform a easy backup to your PC all the way through iTunes it save that sort of info. You can for all time resort back to it still if there is a setback when you upgrade to a fresh iOS. I've complete it many times.

Then presently do a manual backup on iTunes actual rapid. That method it saves all your texts and photos and important and sentimental information. That's what I always do, since I am the same way with my texts. Never had a problem updating over the air from iOS 5 beta 3, 4, 5, or 7

Even though I did have a hitch from beta 4 to beta 5 along with up ,where they changed how various texts your phone might hold. For some time I was unable to receive texts because I had too many and it wouldn't delete the oldest ones in the threads on it's own. So I had to go in and delete a huge communication thread from an ex-gf and then all the texts I was lost came flood in. So I don't be familiar with if they have set that trouble yet, but apparently I did the first to run into it on here, since at the time no one know of that trouble exist.

Thank you guys. Looks like you should be safe. plus I express regret for the confusion updates OTA. I do not be familiar with if they go on to IOS5 OTA or if you include 5.1. At what time wire for the software update that will bring into line all data as of my initial and we'll go from there.

Thank you again.

On the subject of OTA updates, I'm running the GM which is the same build number as the general release. When you go to Settings> General> Software Update, you get hit with "Error checking for a software update." Why do people on general release to get, or is that a GM thing? (Of course, I realize that there will be an upgrade, you just expect that says something like "the iPhone is up to date."

I'm still running GM and now get the "software is up to date" message.

GM and freedom in general are the same exact version, has been shown countless times on this forum tonight. you're wasting your time if you are doing that.

the software update message was cos of the update server is not activated, as well as beta versions before the OTA has been enabled.