Thread: What should I do to properly format and access the Seagate 3TB GoFlex Desk?

What should I do to properly format and access the Seagate 3TB GoFlex Desk?

So you just bought a new Seagate 3 TB external hard drive. It seems that the unit does not use GPT , but only a normal MBR, with sections of 4 KB. Does this mean that the normal limit of 2.2TB MBR partition is only if 512-byte sectors are used?

NTFS is fine for me, as I still boot my Windows partition at times and I like being able to access my data from any OS.I read that Seagate had expected some such device format that can be used in 32 bit XP, but for some reason seems to be a vanilla NTFS format. Does anyone know if this unit uses advanced formatting or is it just a standard NTFS with a 4K sector size? (Or that question even makes sense?)

Re: What should I do to properly format and access the Seagate 3TB GoFlex Desk?

If they search you should find Seagate 3tb relevant posts. I wish I could say that the Seagate support was helpful, but all I have of them is "Linux is not supported."Face palm Really? That's your answer? Although it seems to work well in Ubuntu 10.04? Seagate's unwillingness to go into details about the partition scheme is used really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyna View Post
    If they search you should find Seagate 3tb relevant posts. I wish I could say that the Seagate support was helpful, but all I have of them is "Linux is not supported."Face palm Really? That's your answer? Although it seems to work well in Ubuntu 10.04? Seagate's unwillingness to go into details about the partition scheme is used really disappointing.
    Sorry, but there is much to do on this side. If the unit is not compatible, not compatible, but that does not mean it will never work for anyone at any time.

Hopefully though the Linux community can help, or others who have been able to get their work unit in Linux.

If the backup doodads not work, you might as well acquire the cheaper expansion unit, or go with a Western Digital Essential Edition. If the trouble can be fixed configuration with the food contained in the relationship, then the trouble almost certainly was not a trouble with Seagate drives or firmware - I had to do with the number of devices on the PCI Express bus poster's computer that allowed the signal to the CPU for attention. It could have been a trouble with the Seagate drive pin insisting interruptions based on Linux computer and insist on listening to MSI interrupts