Thread: Very low sound in Realtek HD Built-in laptop mic

Very low sound in Realtek HD Built-in laptop mic

My laptop has a built in mic. This is common for every one. But I want to state this separately. There is a reason for the same which I will specify later on. I am using the default Windows sound recorder. When I record anything, the sound quality is very low. I play it on my desk speakers, but the sound is super low with bad quality. I need some help to get this fixed out. My laptop is not old. I just upgraded from Windows xp to Windows 7. Can this be the cause of that. I had kept my system on update at the start when I run the installation. The update fixed my major issue, but it is not able to fix the sound recording thing. What to do here best to get this fixed out. I do not want to go with any third party mic support.

Re: Very low sound in Realtek HD Built-in laptop mic

You said that you had upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. So for sure you had not updated the right drivers which is causing the issue. Right click on My computer and click on properties. Towards the left side you can see Device Manager. See properly that you can see any device with yellow exclamation mark. If yes then that device is not installed properly. And if not then also I will advice you to right click on your mic and choose update drivers. Do not rely on Windows update. Rather than that just go on the official website of your laptop provider and download drivers for Windows 7. Run them all one by one. Then again test your mic. There are many better sound recording software which has enhanced features of generating a good sound quality.

Yes go for the drivers update first and then check back. Surely this is because of bad drivers. Just go for an fresh update and then check back.

Windows 7 has a good sound manager. There are many tabs in that which you can use for sound settings. You can run that from Control panel. I can give you some settings choices which can help you to understand how it works. Play contains a list of devices that helps in sound reproduction. Disabled devices are marked with a red arrow, used at the moment - green tick. Under the devices are meant not only those that are physically connected to the computer, but also those that may be not connected at all. Click on the active device and click Customize. You can now configure the selected playback device. And the same you can do for the mic also. Check properly and test your device here only.

Yes that is the issue of sound settings. If you are not getting a good voice quality try to stay near to the mic. You can use a headphone which comes with mic. That will also be better.

Go in Control Panel > Sound. Go in the same section where you can see speakers and headphones. There is an Playback tab. Click on that to setup microphone. You can also see a Recording tab here. In that click on Configure. This will opens the configuration window of speech recognition. You can leave that if you do not want to use voice recognition service. Click on Properties > General. Click on Play to gets the sound. Go in Levels tab which contains a volume control, and then click on Advanced > Setting bit-rate and bit depth. You have to manage the same properly so that you can set proper voice recording support. In addition there are ready-made schemes.

I am not using the inbuilt microphone of my laptop. The reason is the noise disturbance. I use an headphone which has mic attached and it can capture a good quality of sound files.