Thread: Is it possible to use virgin sim card in Acer Iconia A501?

Is it possible to use virgin sim card in Acer Iconia A501?

I am having a Acer Iconia A501 tablet and I just happened to get it. now I am also having the virgin mobile broadband stick. So I just want to know if I will be able to use the virgin sim card with the tablet or not? Anyone knows about the same then please do revert back to me as soon as possible, that’s what I want to ask it from you all. so do reply accordingly on the same guys. I am waiting.

Re: Is it possible to use virgin sim card in Acer Iconia A501?

Quote Originally Posted by Björn View Post
    I am having a Acer Iconia A501 tablet and I just happened to get it. now I am also having the virgin mobile broadband stick. So I just want to know if I will be able to use the virgin sim card with the tablet or not? Anyone knows about the same then please do revert back to me as soon as possible, that’s what I want to ask it from you all. so do reply accordingly on the same guys. I am waiting.
    As such I haven’t gpt the tablet but yes I know few things that you will be requiring when you are using them. so what I am telling is that if you are using virgin as your service provider then you must first go and set up the APN. Now as you have mentioned that you are using the same service in broadband stick as well. So you can make use of that as well. So that’s what I am saying here. now after having done that you will have to set the authentication method to PAP. That’s what you should be doing. So I hope you have understood what I am saying here. now I am not sure if you can do all things with the Acer tablet or not. Since I haven’t used it. still you can look out for the following methods that I have suggested you and let me know if that was of any use for you. do revert back me back if that was useful for you.

Dude you forgot to mention about the setting up of the new access point definition. I am saying that you should be doing the same, so that you will be able to make use of it. that’s what my point is. Unless and until you don’t build up a access point you will not be able to establish any connection at all. so hope you did understand what I have said here.

You can call up the customer support of either acer or the virgin service provider to know if it works or not. As far as I know the tablet is not a locked version. So you will be getting the freedom of using any sim in the tablet. So I would say that you should go ahead with the connection.

Now that was the solution that I was looking for and was the much needed one for me. so thanks a lot everyone for the solution that you have given here. I did try in the same way as you have suggested and later it has worked out for me. yes you were right only a access point was needed for me. so that’s what I have done. Anyways thanks a lot for all the suggestions that you have given here, it’s a great relief for me as I have got the data connection from the virgin in my Acer tablet. So thanks guys.

This is what I would like to do. Could anyone give me basic clear instructions for getting my virgin sim card to work in my a501 please?

Quote Originally Posted by JontyLewis View Post
    This is what I would like to do. Could anyone give me basic clear instructions for getting my virgin sim card to work in my a501 please?
    I normally use a telstra sim but you could see if the apn in the wireless settings is telstra.bigpond, if not change it, worth a try.

ohmy Re: Is it possible to use virgin sim card in Acer Iconia A501?

I finally have it working:
    Using a virgin SIM card set up and working on my home computer:

Not sure if it was needed, but deleted each APN by opening them and then deleting them using the button in the top right corner. Then using this button I put in a new APN with settings as follows:
    Name: Virgin Broadband
    APN type: default
    APN : VirginBroadband
    Username :<not set>
    Password:<not set>
    Authentication typeAP (that is PAP in case the smiley face is still blocking it)
    Proxy:<not set>
    Port:8070
    Then I pressed the "edit access point button" in the top left corner, and went back to the Mobile network settings page, which showed the Access Point Names as "Virgin Broadband(VirginBroadband)

I did this using Network Mode set at 3G only, but it appears to work on "Automatic" also.
    Last edited by JontyLewis; 02-02-2012 at 08:43 PM.