Thread: problem encountered when using Samsung Focus, as it is consuming more browsing data when using Wi-Fi.

problem encountered when using Samsung Focus, as it is consuming more browsing data when using Wi-Fi.

When using my Wi-Fi enabled Samsung focus 3G which I had purchased recently lately I noticed that it is consuming large AT&T bandwidth. When I start my phone and enter the initial information, I usually configure my Wi-Fi settings right away and ensure that it is connected. At the current rate I will use 60MB of data even when using Wi-Fi since the phone is on all night and charging me a lot as my wi-fi network also get entangled with my 3G service both the icons of Wi-Fi as well as 3G are existing on my phone…this has caused me with loss of data during the browsing period…please help me out of this!!!!!!!!!

Re: problem encountered when using Samsung Focus, as it is consuming more browsing data when using Wi-Fi.

According to my knowledge: Wi-Fi is turned off when the phone is set to the stand-by mode. This is done in order to preserve battery life. There is an exception only when the phone is plugged in to a power source. Wi-Fi will remain ON in this case. So if your phone is connected to the power source all night, it should be using your Wi-Fi connection. I haven't checked carefully to be entirely certain my overnight data usage isn't increasing.

Re: problem encountered when using Samsung Focus, as it is consuming more browsing data when using Wi-Fi.

The fact that you have both 3G and Wi-Fi icons are on the status bar only means that the phone is connected to the corresponding networks. The problem is that It does not tell you which one is being used at any given point. One more point that you should remember is that Wi-Fi will be turned off when the phone goes into standby mode or will remain on if it is connected to a power source. If you want to know more about the and whether using 3G, turn off the Data Connection in settings > cellular

If this problem continues to occur repeatedly and you have a limited plan of data browsing this can cause a head-ache for you, as per my calculations if you are browsing at about 18 MB/day or more in 30 days, it will consume at least 540 MB of data. That far exceeds your available data capacity. so it is better to take pre-cautions first….

According to me your Wi-Fi is working because:
    1. it is that you have another Samsung Captivate is running another system on the same Wi-Fi network and its running very well and consuming your data without showing these data issues to.
    2. You should check router and I do see logs from the Samsung Focus device. After switching off 3G on Focus, you be able to access network and email on Wi-Fi.

It does depend on the kind of email provider are you using? You must check the big data usage which might be related to push email data and cause you this problems?