Thread: Windows Phone 7, my Samsung Focus is using Data MB even when I have it logged into Wi-Fi network

Windows Phone 7, my Samsung Focus is using Data MB even when I have it logged into Wi-Fi network

I am using an AT & T Samsung Focus with Windows Phone 7. Now I have noticed a strange thing with it. Even when I have my phone logged into my Wi-Fi network, it uses the AT & T network for data usage. I realized this when I noticed my data usage which was looking bit high, and then I decided with tracking it. I noted the data usage one day and it was 32.48MB and when I notice the data usage on the next day then it was 34.52 MB. It means 2mb of data was used in one day even when I kept my phone logged into the Wi-Fi network whole day. Actually I have two Samsung Focus in my house and if each phone will use 2MB of data daily then in one month it will use 120MB of data even when I am using Wi-Fi. Do any of you know about why this is happening and if this can be fixed? Please reply.

Re: Windows Phone 7, my Samsung Focus is using Data MB even when I have it logged into Wi-Fi network

I also have noticed that it uses the Data Mb even if you are using Wi-Fi network whole time. I also noticed one thing with my Samsung Focus that it always seems to be searching for the Wi-Fi network, whenever I wake up this phone by pressing the power button, and after one of two seconds of searching it locks. Anyone of you here have any idea about why this is happening? This is happening every time when I wake up my Samsung Focus. Is it normal or is this can be fixed? Please reply.

Re: Windows Phone 7, my Samsung Focus is using Data MB even when I have it logged into Wi-Fi network

I also have little bit same issue. I noticed that when we put our phone even in standby mode then it continues with draining the battery. I am not sure about this but I think you should try disabling data connection of your phone whenever you have connected with the Wi-Fi, and see that it does anything or not.

I think I should try with disabling the data connection but I don’t know exactly how I can do that. It will be little more helpful if you can suggest about how to disable the data connection.

If you don’t know how to disable data connection then here is how you can disable your phone’s data connection. First go to the settings and then in cellular and there you can find the data connection bar. You can slide it to turn it off when you have connected with the Wi-Fi.

Actually, as far as I know, when your phone sleeps, then the Wi-Fi connection of your phone automatically turns off. Your phone is designed to do this automatically in order to preserve your phone’s battery life. But, it will remain turned on in sleeping mode also if your phone is plugged in to a power source. So if you will keep your phone plugged to a power source all night then it will not use your data Mb and it will remain connected with the Wi-Fi, if you have kept Wi-Fi on before. If you will do so then I think your data usage will not increase in the knight time.

If this is really so then I think it is the most ridicules thing that I have heard before. I think MS should think about that either they should make apps to not update when the phone is locked or they should keep the Wi-Fi on when the phone is locked. It is really a most annoying thing to lose 120 Mb of data in night time when I am sleeping. They should really make any option for this.

Yes, I am also agreeing with you. Actually I think there should be an option so that we can force mobile apps should be updated only when the phone is logged into Wi-Fi. Or the Wi-Fi should not get turned off when the phone goes to sleeping mode.

I also have the same experience with my Samsung Focus. Actually I have to phones, one is Samsung Captivate which is running on Android 2.1 platform, and another is this Samsung Focus. I don’t have any of such issue with the Samsung Captivate. Only Samsung Focus has this issue. I am not able to understand why MS let his OS with this behavior to come into the market. They really require fixing this issue as soon as they can.

I recently contacted with the AT & T’s Tech support person, and told them about this issue. They told me that Samsung don’t have any identified concern with these symptoms in the Samsung Focus. And along with this, on my screen I can see Wi-Fi an 3G icons both simultaneously. I think everyone should call AT & T and let them know that there are many users of them who have the same issue. Then I think they can make a workaround for this issue.

Actually the icons that you are seeing don’t means that you are receiving data, it means that you are just receiving the signal for 3G also along with the Wi-Fi. And also I will like to tell you that Samsung really has nothing to do with this problem, because it depends on the Operating system that when the Wi-Fi should be on and off.

Yes, I can agree upon that. But, the problem is that the record of the AT&T shows that my Samsung Focus has used 3G network till now even when the Wi-Fi connected, and that is my actual concern. I think nobody will want pay AT&T for the data usage at the time when he is on home and using Wi-Fi. And as someone has suggested above now I have disabled the data and now I will see the data usage of AT&T tomorrow.