Thread: Unable to reinstall Skype on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7

Unable to reinstall Skype on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7

I am using Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. I was running Skype on this phone since the time I bought it, but due to some issues I deleted it. I didn’t have any problem in uninstalling it. But now when I want to reinstall it, so I downloaded it from the Market, but it is not getting installed, instead of that it is showing me with an error, ”Insufficient storage available” and then installation process gets cancelled. I have lot of space still available on my device then also I am getting this error. I am not able to get any reason behind this. Is there anyone else who is having the same problem? Do any of you have any idea about why I am getting this error on my SGT?

Re: Unable to reinstall Skype on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7

I am getting the same problem when trying to install Skype on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, after once uninstalling it. It is giving me an error,”Insufficient storage available”, while trying to install it. I have around 2.5Gb free space on my tablet and around 3Gb free space on my Memory card. So, I don’t think the storage can be a reason for this issue. So, what can be the reason for this? Anyone has any idea about this? Please reply.

I am also getting the same error message,” Insufficient storage available” when trying to install Skype on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. I tried searching for a solution everywhere and found that there are many people who have the same problem, but it seems that Skype support is ignoring this issue and have not released any fix for this.

I think you all should try doing a factory reset and then try to install Skype from the Market. I think after that you will be able to install Skype to your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, without any error.

This is not only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, but the same problem is with other phones also. I am using HTC Desire HD and I have the same error saying,” Insufficient storage available” when trying to install Skype on my phone.

This is the problem with the Skype app and there are many users of Skype who are getting the same error message when they try to install Skype on their phone. I searched at many places to find a solution for this. Then I found that to fix this issue you have to delete a file which is in the /data director. And for that you will require to root your phone. And I think many people will not like to root their device, because after you have rooted your device your guaranty will be void.

Yes, to solve this issue you have to root your device and here is the complete solution to fix this issue.
    • First complete rooting with your device.
    • Then obtain a shell on the phone on which you are getting this issue, easier way for that is you can use "Android Terminal Emulator". Or the other way is to enable "USB debugging" by going in Settings/Application/Development, then hook up your phone to your computer via USB and then use Windows command line tool "adb.exe shell"
    • Now enter "su" in shell to obtain root acquiescence. You will need to confirm root permission on your phone also.
    • Now enter "cd /data/data" then press ‘Enter’ key and then "ls" then again ENTER. Now you will notice a directory having name ‘com.skype.raider’.
    • Now enter "rm -R com.skype.raider", this will remove Skype's leftovers.
    • Now close the shell by typing "exit" and then enter two times.

Now you will be able to install Skype on your device. Try this. it’s a working solution for this issue.

Is there any option other than this? Actually I don’t want to root my device just to install Skype on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. If there is any other way to do this, then please suggest me that.

Yes, I also don’t want to root my device, because I have heard that after rooting a phone, we lose the warranty provided with that phone. I don’t want to take any risk with that. I think there must be any other way. For me rooting cannot be a solution, because I don’t want to lose the support of Samsung care just to use Skype. I would rather start using other apps for video chatting.

Yes, please don’t give us such solutions, in which we have to root our phone. This is really too risky. I have heard that rooting can damage your phone. Is it true? And if it is not true then also it is a fact that the warranty will be void after rooting my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. I have bought this phone in this month only. And I have year of warranty left for this phone. So, please suggest any other solution.

As far as I know, rooting is safe and it is good also, because after you have rooted your device, you will be able to download apps which you are now not able to download currently. And those apps which you cannot find in Market app. I have also rooted my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, and since then I never got any issue with this phone.

Even if rooting is safe, then also we would not like to root our devices because we don’t want to lose warranty provided with this phone. Why Skype team is not doing anything to make a solution for this issue? Why they are not taking Android platform too seriously?

Thanks for your solution. I was searching for this solution from long time, then I found this thread and I tried the solution that is mentioned here. It worked for my phone. The only difficulty I faced was with the rooter. But then I downloaded z4root and then I rooted easily. BTW, I was not worried of rooting, because there is only one disadvantage of rooting that it will void your warranty, but along with that you have too many advantages after rooting your device.