Thread: Strange “Signal booster” app in my Nokia N8, after updating to Symbian Anna

Strange “Signal booster” app in my Nokia N8, after updating to Symbian Anna

I am using Nokia N8, and I recently updated to Symbian Anna by using Nokia Software updater. After updating, when I was playing around with it then suddenly I saw an application with name something like “signal booster” in a folder. When I opened it, then it said ‘not supported’ and after that it vanished from there. I feel it really strange. Is it happened to anyone else? Did any of you know about that application, where it gone now?

Re: Strange “Signal booster” app in my Nokia N8, after updating to Symbian Anna

I also recently installed Symbian Anna in my Nokia N8, and when I was exploring it I encountered with the same app that you said. When tried to run it, it disappeared and at the same time I got an error message saying “not supported”.

I also saw the same app. I am suspecting that it is the UMA/GAN support. I am in UK and using Orange. I had seen on Orange website that Nokia N8 works with Singnal Booseter UMA/GAN, but now that app has disappeared, I was too excited when I saw that app. Now, I really want that app again. Now I am finding a way, so that I can get back that application.

I am from Middle East. I also encountered the same app that is, “ Signal booster”. When I clicked on its icon then it disappeared. And after that I used search option and tried searching that app again and luckily I found that app again. But now when I try to open that application then it gives me the same error as before. Can we use this application on this Nokia N8? If anyone has idea about it, then please reply.

It looks like that it is with many countries and various operators. Actually, there are more other inactive stuffs in this firmware. I hope UMA/GAN will be supported in Nokia N8, at least in the future firmware versions. When I tried asking to Orange in UK about the signal boost, then they informed me that N8 does not have support for Orange signal boost. They didn’t told about when Nokia N8 will have support for that.

According to what I think, it should be something which is like any developer tool and about which we should not even know. And we got in our phones unintentionally. And that is why we get an error message “not supported” when we open that “signal booster” app and then it gets disappeared.

The strange “Signal boost” Application that you are encountering with is actually an app that is made for only some of the device variants but I think accidently it has became noticeable in some of the other devices also. However, it will not make any damage to your phone and neither will cause any issue, so you can simply ignore it, and it will automatically get vanished when you try to run it. There is no point of thinking so much about it, just consider one thing that it was not meant for your device, but you got it visible unintentionally.

Here, I want to add something from my side. I think you all also have noticed that after updating to Symbian Anna you may have experiencing a very heavy battery usage. I think the reason behind that is this “Signal boost” app.

I cannot agree on that. I don’t know about your phone but in case of mine Nokia N8, I was needed to charge this phone after every two days. But, after I encounter this application and I tried to open it and it got disappeared and from that time I am experiencing that my battery life has noticeably increased. Now I need to charge my Nokia N8, after three days only. So, I don’t think it could be using too much battery, because after running it my battery life has been considerably increased. Is there anyone else who has experienced that the battery life has been increased after encountering with this application in your Nokia N8.

Thanks for clarifying that. Now, assuming that this “Signal boost” app is something which is related to UMA/GAN, I want to ask here that will S^3 have support for this “signal boost” app? Orange has been marketing many phones of different manufacturers having 'Orange Signal Boost', I think there should not be any difficulty for Nokia N8 to have support for that, therefore I think Nokia may influence orange by its marketing in UK and we get this feature supported in Nokia also, may be from the release of Symbian Belle. By the way, I didn’t have any kind of issues with respect of my battery life after encountering with this app, in my Nokia N8, with Symbian Anna.

Here I want to clarify one thing that this application named “Signal boost” which is strange app for you, is actually a part of a software named UMA( Unlicensed Mobile Access). In case of some customers, when they will try to initialize this application, then it will get disappeared automatically, and it will not make any harm to your device for sure.

After encountering with this application, when it got disappeared( after trying to initiate it), have any of you here has experienced any difference with respect to the quality of the signal in their Nokia N8? Actually I can see a significant difference since the time I tried running that application. And that’s why I was making sure that is it with other users also or it was just an incidental thing. Please reply.

sad Re: Strange “Signal booster” app in my Nokia N8, after updating to Symbian Anna

i have just downloaded symbian anna to my n8...i also encountered the "signal booster" icon...i run it but it was an error...i tried to search it in my phone bcoz the icon disappeared...i found it and run it but it failed again...i searched again but this time i could not find it anymore...it has no effect on my signal...sad...

Well, as it is in-built app that comes with Anna, you should format your phone one more time after upgrading anna. It will not hamper Anna or anything and all problems will be solved. So, just backup your phone and perform hard reset with *#7370#. Your signal booster should work fine.