Thread: Unable to remove heatsink in PowerBook G4 14

Unable to remove heatsink in PowerBook G4 14

Hey guys, I have required similar troubles, but unable to discover anything about it. I freshly received a PowerBook G4 14 "with a broken optical drive. I ordered a new-fangled one to replace it only to discover that, in order to install, I have to take the whole machine apart! Anyway, use this site useful to do so: Installing PowerBook G4 Aluminum 12 "867 MHz Optical Drive

Unfortunately, I have become unstuck in the heat sink. In my heat sink, the two screws with springs on custom CPU Fully unscrew. Have become a bit unstable, but cannot be removed. The worst thing is that now there can be screwed into either! Only trapped, swaying in place. Please could someone advise me on how to proceed otherwise have come to the middle, basically a laptop for the foreseeable future.

re: Unable to remove heatsink in PowerBook G4 14

Do you think it is possible to drill and remove the head then? If so, if you've done that before, that's what I do. The screws can be found for a couple of dollars.

Unfortunately, not only does this type of procedure before, but also have access to a drill or a means of obtaining the correct screws again! (Currently working on a musical project outside the home during the coming months).

It just seems very strange that the screws are in place for something. I have built many computers in my time and found this.

The screws may be "captive" screws and is not intended to be eliminated altogether. Usually there is a padlock closing possession of such screws holding it in place. You may have the screws loose enough to remove the heat sink. Have you tried?

I just went to the steps in the iFixit site relating to the elimination of the heat sink and fan. (Steps 29 to 35.) It seems that there are several screws that must be set to remove the heat sink and fan. I realize that I recommend using thermal paste when it is closed again.

According to what I read, the screws cannot be removed are not captive, but more than likely be deleted. (The wires are separated.) It seems that the only way we're going to leave it or use a Dremel tool to drill or hold firmly while pulling up and removing the same time. That is, if you can get something like a needle-nose pliers around them to pull up while unscrewing.

It should not be a trouble. When that happens to me (and has occurred many times in many electronic repairs I've done) usually look for a screw of a size slightly greater than the same type to replace those removed.

Re: Unable to remove heatsink in PowerBook G4 14

For future reference, here is the solution to this problem, iFixit:

I had a problem on the screws with the springs still spinning. While not having this problem the first time to dismantle the board was because I did not tighten the screws on the plate (bolts real logic board, not the one you used to hold the heatsink to the motherboard) before reassemble. If you encounter the same problem, not necessarily stripped screws, but the real piece connected to the motherboard is loose and just keeps turning. To get the pressure I used tweezers and stopped while turning until they got out and took me a while. Moral of the story: tighten the parts are actually connected to the plate before reassembly. Sorry, I do not know how else to describe the types of screws used, but studies joins the board and that's what broke loose.