Thread: Apple OSX Lion: how to sort all icons?

Apple OSX Lion: how to sort all icons?

I recently got a Macbook with Lion installed. I'm new to OSX and want to know how to have all icons stay automatically arranged by name. I can do it folder-by-folder but that is too frustrating. Is there an easier way? I have one way for doing this that is using folder by folder arrangement but that was so frustrating. So over here I would like to know the easier way for sorting the icons in the OXS. If anyone having any idea about how to sort the icons then please suggest, me over here.

Re: Apple OSX Lion: how to sort all icons?

In this case I will suggest you the following steps which are as:
    1. The first step will be in the menu bar click the Finder > Preferences.
    2. And after that in the next windows, select the general tab over there.
    3. Then check the box marked hard drive.
    4. After this in the sidebar tab put the check mark in the box which have the box marked Hard Disks
    5. and after this close the windows.
    6. And after this setting your hard drive will appear on the top right of the screen and when you open the window, hard drive will be there in the top right. For getting the information about the empty space in the hard drive you can right click on the hard drive and then you will able to see the information on the hard drive.

Hey friend, thanks for your suggestion. But still I am having some confusion that how are find the built-in HD from the Finder? While trying with this I see that there is no icon on the desktop and also in the list under Devices in the Finder. Please tell in the brief if you are having this Hard Drive icon in the Devices in the Finder. And also please explain me that how do you find that how much space is there in your hard drive to be used?

You can also use the steps as:
    • To open the view option use the command-J
    • And then select arrange by name in the given list.
    • After this click the use as default button.
    • I am suggesting you this thing because after this setting it will apply to any other folder which is "lower level" folder in the windows. And also let me trell you that this will not work in the case if you have manually chosen a different arrangement for

Before you process with the above steps, let me tell you that
    You cannot move and also copy the files which are dragged from one folder to the other folder.
    And also the files which are dragged from one folder to other folder on the different hard drive, will be copied
    And one thing also, you can’t cut or past the files, but you can copy and paste the files while using the right click.

I think that there is no cut and paste function in the OSX similar to Windows, and also I think that this was a completely idiotic feature from the design point of view. You can also hold down the option key while dragging the files. This thing will help you to copy instead of the move.

Hi friends, thanks for the suggestion. Here I am having some question above it. My question over here is that how do you find the installed Hard drive? I am asking you this question because there is no icon in the desktop and it's not listed under Devices. And also I would like to know that how will you know that how much space is left in the hard drive for the use.

Ok, I think this thing is because of the by default to not shown on the desktop. I am not sure it is why, but for that reason you can just clock on the Mac face icon on the Dock, I think which is the one that looks like a two tone face with a line running down the middle. This thing will bring up the finder windows. And you can also go to the finder windows and on the general tab there's a checkbox for showing Hard Drives on the desktop. This thing will help you to show up hard drive on the desktop.

Yeah! Thanks for the proper information. Before your suggestion, I was having problem that how to sort the icons in the Apple OSX Lion, but after following your steps I am now able to sort the icons easily. And also I was having some question that I was not able to find the hard drive icon on the desktop- or on the list for sorting the icons. After following the steps which are given above now I can sort the icons and also I can find the hard drive icons on the desktop. Thank you very much for your reply, with the help of your suggestion now I am able to know more about the new Apple OSX Lion system which I have.