Thread: Is android 2.3 gingerbread OTA update available for rooted HTC EVO

Is android 2.3 gingerbread OTA update available for rooted HTC EVO

Hi, I own a rooted EVO and it has current I have android froyo installed but I am about to install the newer rather next version to my mobile, but I am not very much sure whether the mobile I have has the OTA update available for the gingerbread or not but still want to make this update for sure.

Is there anyone here with the same model and make this update? Please let me know as whether it is available or not?And if it is been available then how It works with rooted EVO? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

re: Is android 2.3 gingerbread OTA update available for rooted HTC EVO

I have the same mobile but don’t know whether the update you are looking for is available or not for the mobile you have. Because I have updated to gingerbread but still It was actually through the PC and not through OTA.

But still according to me OTA update is almost next to worthless as it just updates some of the settings in the current firmware rather my recommendation is to not wait for this update rather simply update the mobile through the PC as soon as possible. But I think all the rooted settings would be wiped out and you must have to root your device again after making this firmware update.

you can have option to ask the customer support as they will surely help you with this, whether the update is available or not.

I am agreeing with the above user as you can simply call the service center and ask for the update is available or not. But still the same thing you can confirmed on your own as well, like you can check it on your mobile itself. There is an option in your mobile for firmware update, and you have to simply just click on that and make sure that you have activated internet connection first of all otherwise it will not proceed ahead.

So as you click on that, you’ll see the current version which is actually installed and the newer version that will be available. But if there isn’t any such update available then it will show you messages saying the one you have is the latest one.

Are you sure about the fact as the update will unroot the phone, because I have made really very good effort in order to root it once.

And why OTA is not that good, compare to flashing the phone?

Yeah I am sure about that as the phone will be fully reset to its previous settings as you have gotten while you have bought it, but still as the above user mentioned you should update the phone through the PC rather than OTA, though it is available. And don’t worry about the update as the newer version is quite good rather stable for the mobile we are using.

And let the service center people do this for you.