Thread: While contacting server the activation stuck on blackberry Torch 9800

While contacting server the activation stuck on blackberry Torch 9800

I have just upgraded to Blackberry Professional Software and also bought new licenses to help new users within the office. I am trying to add a new user and so I generated and emailed a new activation password but when that user is entering it into his device then it gets stuck on "connecting to server" and in the software it is showing his status as initializing. Can anyone tell me how do I solve this problem? Thanks

Re: While contacting server the activation stuck on blackberry Torch 9800

Can you tell us from what exactly have you upgraded from? Have you checked if the permissions are set properly? When the user presses activate button on the device and the activation message with etp.dat attachment appears in the inbox then does it leave automatically or does it stay there? did you try to activate anyone else's account? Which mail system you are using by the way?

Re: While contacting server the activation stuck on blackberry Torch 9800

You need to first of all bounce the BES server again and check if all services are running properly. If that doesnt work then you can try to run the HANDHELDCLEANUP.EXE with a switch of -u and see if that works. To do this open Command Prompt and then change to the directory of the tools folder like this - C:\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.4\tools and then type HANDHELDCLEANUP.EXE -u. You need to also ensure that you are on the latest hotfix for your server.

You can try to troubleshoot the problem and verify if the etp.dat email message is arriving and being picked up by the user. To check that, remove the user from Blackberry manager. After that ask user to activate from blackberry device with their email address and easy password - "b". Now wait for the etp.dat to arrive in their mailbox and when it does then you can go ahead and add the user to the blackberry manager and set their password to what they used to start from their device.