Thread: Need help to know about SD card quality/reliability

Need help to know about SD card quality/reliability

Hi all. Regularly, I shoot all my photos on a SanDisk which have 4 GB capacity. Some time ago, during the holidays, I o out of space and had to buy a new card in Gibraltar. All I could find was a 8GB card from the unknown brand, but I must say I'm a bit reluctant to use this card. For some reason, Sandisk confidence more, simply because it is a name that all know and trust. Here I would like to know that is there any rationality to my distrust of the generic card? Or all the cards, basically the same quality wise? And here let me clear that I am not talking about speed, but rather about the reliability.

Re: Need help to know about SD card quality/reliability

Hey I use pro shooting digital since 2000 and in that I use the branded cards only. Because I think that they never fall in data corruption, failing, or pieces of plastic pins to break or jam. In my camera I am using Lexar CF cards but instead of that I am having the lots of card that worked for me. And always I stay away from cards with no name until they develop a reputation for reliability.

One reason for asking my question is that electronics is not unusual that the components are made by only a handful of companies, and later used by many others, brand and generic. Consider, for example, LCDs or Sony CCD that power Nikon cameras. The point is that not surprise me if chips Sandisk SD cards and some other brands are made in the same production line. On the other hand, I would be if they are not, and I can not find any information on this topic

Yes, it's not like today announced that its components are used in imitation. However, you know you're getting the good things of brands, and they may receive replacements and customer support if something goes wrong. Consuelo, but it's something. While using the Lexar I never had problem. I hear an occasional complaint about SanDisk, but it could be because there are many out there. I think that I am not facing that problem because of the I don't have any firm data. If you are thinking that your new card that you have bought from the outside is not having the life then I will suggest you that don’t think like that because the life period is depend upon how you use that card.

I am also having the same condition. Recently I purchased an 8GB SDHC of unknown brand and it was working good and I had never seen any problem with it. But still I think that this will be not first choice when gearing up. I was having some problem that was my 1 year old SSD card but I was having problem in it that it was not detected by my Kingston reader and also when I plug that card to my camera it works. Here I mean to say that brand is always important in the case of buying the cards for the camera.

For the smaller card, I think that I will remain my 8GB generic backup only. Certainly good for my Sony Alpha is that it has a dual slot and SD card slot and a slot for Memory Stick Pro. You can also go for that one.