Thread: How to Transplant a Dell XPS 8100 motherboard into a case?

How to Transplant a Dell XPS 8100 motherboard into a case?

I have many question related to my Dell XPS 8100. The questions are as follows:

1. Would I be able to evacuate the motherboard with the processor and heatsink still fixed with the intention that I don't need to stress over derailing them?
    2. The Antec case has front board junctures for power switch, reset switch, HD LED and power LED. I have no clue where these will join on the Dell motherboard. Will any individual run me to the right buttons to connect these to? Regardless I could prefer power switch and HD LED but might even exist without HD LED if important.
    3. Is there an official record or aid manual that clarifies the proposed button associations that I am looking for? Dell's fix manual that they have presented is truly usual and tries not to combine this illumination

Re: How to Transplant a Dell XPS 8100 motherboard into a case?

Your second concern that you have presented is going on be a situation on the grounds that Dell utilize their particular control board which is not significantly button perfect with a nonexclusive case's advances. As you declare the power switch is the prevailing concern--Dell workstations are all in all tranquil but in a calm room you'll catch it running so a power pointer would not be able to be crucial. The power switches just utilizes several wires so need to be pretty effortless to distinguish and extemporize, in particular as extremity of the wiring doesn't matter. Unless you Dell utilize standard button connectors at the motherboard finish I could basically snip the power switch wire at the closure closest the case and wire it to the fitting connector on the newfangled case (most fit to solder and encase or utilize a plastic and metal square-connector). Have a hard check out the power supply on the grounds that Dell has utilized non standard ones in the past and it would not be able to fit the unique case screw holes. It's luring to update to a newfangled PSU anyway being as how Dell is ungenerous with the wattage of the supplied unit.

Sincerely speaking, you are committing an error. And then an additional note, I like the 8100 case. I could have continued every little item in the Dell case and unequivocally tricked it out.
    Moving the whole sheet similar to that is not a great thneed; break the segments down a mite so it won't be so large on the slat when moving and simpler to get the slat out of the case. Be watchful for granulating and electric shock (static shock), it’s simple to rotisserie something.
    I could not help you being as how I never attempted this swap heretofore.
    It's dubious being as how its not a suggested move and they should not uphold it.
    In the event that you need an additional 8100 case or had to swap motherboards with a precise swap or close then knowing the settings you need to know would

I could leave the processor in on account of uprooting and trading the heatsink might be demanding--and if the instrument you're utilizing slips it would be able to wreck the motherboard (I've done that). Evidently uproot any PCI/AGP cards and take out the coin electric storage device--you'll undoubtedly short it anyway in the event that you touch any metal moving the sheet lock stock and done so you'll need to restore the BIOS settings (straightforward on a Dell).

Actually would have liked to post that I did this last night-transplanted my dell studio XPS 8100 motherboard with i7-860 into a unique post-retail case without any issues. It is a standard size mATX sheet. The just hiccup was the capacity switch, capacity headed, and hdd led on connectors but dell has them packed into one connect to the flatter right hand corner of the motherboard. The case had them independently so I unequivocally pulled out the capacity button module in my dell, decipher which wires were for what (switch, light, and so forth), resolved their position in Dell's clustered connector then after that unequivocally associated every separately to their individual buttons. It works without a situation. It took me about 5 moments to resolve that and the entire transplant took about 1.5 hours.

The ONLY thing I would be unable to get to work was the reset switch looking into the issue, which I don't positively care about.

PS-if anybody is pondering, I've supplanted my PSU and the stock CPU cooler, but within the brand new case, my temps have dropped a whopping 30-40C for both my CPU and GPU. The Dell XPS Studio 8100 case might be purty to take a gander at, but practically its a bad dream since its incredibly confined, even in its stock setup, left to figure things out without anyone else's input depending on if you choose to add/upgrade some

I could predict that the machine was utilizing a BTX motherboard; I think you might as well check your model before you swap cases. BTX motherboards (utilized it dells now) are not perfect with ATX (regular) cases.

I attempted this with my associate's old dell, and the motherboard was not ATX. It did not line up with any of the motherboard mounting holes in an ATX case I had to bore and tap my particular holes for the metal studs. I got it in there but it was an excessive amount of deliberation, and as said you will need to recognize any place to mount the I/O board. IMO its not even near worth every last trace of the venture.

I was actually planning to do the same thing with the Dell XPS 8100 I got back in 2009. But I would have to carry my motherboard and CPU from home to my residence. What's the best way to do this safely?