Thread: How to correct firewall rules in ISA server to apple Facetime working on iPhone 4

How to correct firewall rules in ISA server to apple Facetime working on iPhone 4

I have recently got this iPhone 4 and love it features but I am facing difficulty to get Facetime working on it. So I did some research and found out it’s a firewall problem so guys I need some help from you as I don’t know how to deal with it . I want the suggestion regarding the step by step process to configure firewall rules in ISA server so that my Facetime works .does anyone know that please replay

Re: How to correct firewall rules in ISA server to apple Facetime working on iPhone 4

I am also curious to know about the setting for the firewall so that I can also use Facetime so guys please helps us regarding this issue I would be very glad

Re: How to correct firewall rules in ISA server to apple Facetime working on iPhone 4

It’s hard to suggest the setting I have searched the high and low and was not able to connect the Facetime work through ISA server 2006. I think it’s required SIP application filter don’t know if it’s available for all I have understand by the research that was made by me is a don’t have the built in SIP filter and I have no idea any third party that provide it alternatively TMG has its own built in SIP so TMG support this .

Well there is no way that you can have APPLE Facetime work behind the ISA server 2006 cause Facetime uses the SIP to open a video session peer-to-peer and it was not been developed SIP application filter for ISA . but ISA 2006 is now replaced by Forefront TMG and it has SIP application filter is available

I don’t know whether its work or not but I have few suggestions. For most of the networks configuration Facetime would work just fine but if you using firewall then they might face some problem so if you are using FaceTime on restricted network then you have to enable the Port forwarding for these ports
    • 443 (TCP)
    • 3478 through 3497 (UDP)
    • 5223 (TCP)
    • 16384 through 16387 (UDP)
    • 16393 through 16402 (UDP)

You can also use the additional port for send and receive video but that depends on the NAT configuration for the router and network. Some of the router-specific configurations may obstruct with Facetime and that include port mapping on either end, SIP dropping, or dynamic opening of media ports you can always refers to your router, firewall, or security software documentation for information on the configuring port forwarding

If you people are facing the problem on configuring the connection for Facetime on your wireless network then use the use standard Wi-Fi network troubleshooting to resolve interference and other issues which is available in the various site and even on Apple Support site you can even find resource for Facetime for Mac

I have followed what you have said but still my problem Is not solved you have only explained which port and protocols are needed but you never mentioned in which direction I have to permits those and even you didn’t mention about any primary connections and secondary connections just like in Remote Procedure Call protocol

I want to know for my firewall rules is what - protocol (tcp - udp) , ports, in which directions (like for tcp inbound or outbound and for udp send/receive or receive-send) and what connections (primary or secondary). I need to know is the simple firewall rules are enough or it need publish rule. does anyone here knows about it

See you need very complicate configuration set ups and I can only suggest you can see Apple support document which has all the answer for your question and if still you are confused the you can always call Apple technical support

Does anyone know to make SIP app works through ISA server 2006 at all? I would really like to know these thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pamina View Post
    Does anyone know to make SIP app works through ISA server 2006 at all? I would really like to know these thanks
    I think this might help its look like there are server publishing rule that was using custom protocols on high ports and it’s a reason for RRAS not able to grab TCP port 1723. If you delete this rule and restarting the Microsoft Firewall Service the issue was resolve.