Thread: How can i do off-host backups of vmfs volumes using EQL snapshots Source

How can i do off-host backups of vmfs volumes using EQL snapshots Source

I am currently finding difficulty to do off-host backups of vmfs volumes using EQL snapshots and I don’t understand why this is happening I am currently using the backup exec 2010 r3 as my back up software and I also have hit/ve, adbo, and vmware agents already I just don’t like to use hit/ve, adbo, and vmware agents already i don’t like to use vmware snapshots when eql is so much earlier . so any thought on this

Re: How can i do off-host backups of vmfs volumes using EQL snapshots Source

i think the problem is to make all operating system to understand the vmfs file system. in linux the utility called vmfs-tool don’t understand the vmfs v3.x. afaik,so as per today it don’t support the esxi v5 format yet . there is no pre build support for what you are intending to do but you can script the formation of a snapshot, take it online and mount it on the linux server. the advantage is you will able to get the vmfs files. vmdks, vmx, log files, etc but the down fall is no differential backup so you might use the linux bue agent to backup the files at that point. and after finished , script the unmount and snapshot deletion to clean things up

Problem guys I have the tech doc for NTFS not for VMFS and on it describe how to backup and restore the NTFS volumes Sql with the help of Symantec Backup Exec 2010 Offhost Function which ahs the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option , the Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools kit and the and PS Series storage arrays but I need one for the VMFS

Quote Originally Posted by Beothuk View Post
    i think the problem is to make all operating system to understand the vmfs file system. in linux the utility called vmfs-tool don’t understand the vmfs v3.x. afaik,so as per today it don’t support the esxi v5 format yet . there is no pre build support for what you are intending to do but you can script the formation of a snapshot, take it online and mount it on the linux server. the advantage is you will able to get the vmfs files. vmdks, vmx, log files, etc but the down fall is no differential backup so you might use the linux bue agent to backup the files at that point. and after finished , script the unmount and snapshot deletion to clean things up
    I also had thought the same way that it would be great feature particularly in better setting. But I was wrong