Thread: unable to charge Toshiba thrive tablet through either USB port or other device

unable to charge Toshiba thrive tablet through either USB port or other device

I have purchased the new Toshiba thrive tablet for my personal and professional use two months ago. I have no problem with the working of the device. I like the design and the model of the device that’s why I purchased it. I am new to this kind of device. So I want some more information about the functions of this device. My actual query is I unable to charge my Toshiba thrive tablet through either USB port or other medium rather than adapter. Is it possible to do that? And if possible then how can I do that. Can anyone give me some idea to solve my confusion? Please help me.

Re: unable to charge Toshiba thrive tablet through either USB port or other device

I want to tell you that you cannot charge your device with the help of USB port. This machine is not created with this functionality.

Re: unable to charge Toshiba thrive tablet through either USB port or other device

I read your problem and come to know that you have a confusion related to function of the device. This kind of problem is always found in the new user. Here I am giving some information. The Toshiba thrive draws 30 watts during charging which can enables 1-hour charge. But this cannot be handled by the USB port. So that, you cannot use the USB port for charging in this tablet.

After seeing your description I want to give you some information which may help you in solving your confusion. The battery of the tablet is 10.8V series-cell pack which is similar to a notebook. And the charging circuit is also similar notebook computer style. But there are some disadvantages found in that process as follows.

The tablets that can charge over USB may take an overnight to put any significant charge on the battery. So the process is very slow and it takes several time as well as energy. So that is not good for the regular use. Don’t worry there are some advantages also found in the process. The advantages are Charging speed and versatility. This is also found in notebooks. Toshiba thrive has the ability to acquire significant battery charge when it plugged in for 20-25 minutes in between flights. Or you can do that in Tablet’s sleep mode also.

I can give you some better idea to you for this purpose. You can plug the small things that can be chargeable through the USB into Toshiba thrives USB-A port and in this way you can charge them.

I had experience regarding to this topic. I also have the same device (Toshiba Thrive tablet). I like the tablets that can charge from a USB charger. This is give better comfort in travelling. Unfortunately this feature is not provide by this device. I think the reason behind this is its power adapter is slightly bigger for my x220i ThinkPad. I think this will give you some idea about your query.

I want to give you suggestion that you don’t try to use the USB port for the charging. This is bad idea because tablets not provide this facility till today. USB port does not handle the large volume voltages.