Thread: HTC Error: Messages has Stopped Unexpectedly

HTC Error: Messages has Stopped Unexpectedly

Hello, I have upgraded from my Sony Ericsson phone to HTC Desire S. I am first time using a Smartphone, and I am loving it. But I am having problems with the Messages. I cannot open it and get an error saying that the messages app has stopped unexpectedly, please tell HTC about this problem. I can send messages by selecting from the contact list and reply to a message if I swipe sideways from the homepage. But I cannot see any old message from the homepage. Is it a software problem or I have to mess with some setting of the app? Please help me solve this problem.

Re: HTC Error: Messages has Stopped Unexpectedly

Hi, I am also facing the same problem on my phone, which has Android 2.21. Every time I use the app or I connect to the internet I get the error,” The application Message (process com.android.mms) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. With a force close button”, and it force closes the application. I read somewhere it’s the problem of on-board memory, but even after clearing the memory, I am having same problem. This happens very often, does anyone have the solution for this?

Hey guys I know that this problem is frustrating and annoying because for a good phone like this the force close issue is embarrassing. But, there is no way of solving this problem, from my own experience. These are the problems of the bugs in the ROM of the phone. It affects the messages app and also the app drawer freezes means that you cannot select the app or scroll up or down. The bug maybe because some of the ROM shipped on UK is corrupt. They release latest versions of their software only on stock roms, and HTC releases small updates to their stock roms on new devices which could be a huge problem. To solve this, you have to flash the latest stock rom version 1.47, and the error force close is never to be seen, so it is the corrupt ROM problem.

Not just the UK roms are affected; my Belgian HTC is also suffering from the force close error and some other things like the dialer and display app not working properly. And I think it affects a whole batch of phones in the market. I’ve tried factory reset, but it does not cure it, so no change in setting can cure the problem. It is as said earlier a problem of corrupted ROM. The fact that yours is working properly after you rooted and flashed it, confirms it. But, if you don’t know how to flash, only tell the experts to do, as any mistake can permanently damage the phone. I have given mine for flashing, and will return soon hopefully corrected.

Try it if it works, Turn your phone ON and when you are at the home screen, pull the Battery and the SIM out and let the phone set free for some time. Then put SIM and battery back in restart the phone, try sending a text msg, using the default messaging app. If you are using the built-in Android messaging app, I read somewhere online about a security gap where some misinformed messages are sent and the Sim gets restarted because of that. Search your history for any such messages and try deleting them too. I hope after that it works fine.

It’s not only on HTC, but also on my Samsung Moment which has the Android app. To solve this problem just check the previous threads in the messaging app, and see the unsent messages in the history. I found some 20 unsent and blank messages, which were not sent to anybody in particular. I immediately deleted them, and now I’ve got no error in the app for now. It is because of the rogue thread on your mobile. If you can’t find any unsent messages, just delete all the threads on your mobile, that’s the last and best option I can give you.

You can try not using the default messaging app and use other third-party message apps. Handcent is a nice app that has threaded and direct reply features. You can uncheck the default messaging app by opening stock messaging, go to menu>settings>received notification and uncheck the box beside it. But as per my experience, the original messaging app is much better and others such as Handcent and Chomp are just battery hogs.

I just fixed my meesage error by clicking on the person contact who last text me , then click on text message in the contact window , then deleted the text they send me , now when i click on the Message icon it opens right up.