Thread: PDF functionality in ASUS Eee Note EA-800

PDF functionality in ASUS Eee Note EA-800

I just read through a few threads on the EA800. I am incredibly attracted in this device and planning on ordering it all the way through eBay, but I'm not sure if it fits my needs completely. I would use it mainly for academic purposes are that I have read and annotate / highlight a lot of PDF files. I have many questions regarding this, such as: When you read a PDF file and set a zoom level, has the habit to save these settings for the entire document (at least for the "reading session") or you have to set the zoom level for each page? A problem also mentioned in another thread: When I make a notation on a particular zoom setting, it remains visible only at exactly this level of zoom (or it has been fixed in a newer firmware version)? Also mentioned in another thread: still no "go to page xxx" for PDF files? Are there any "cut white margins"? Can you read and write PDF files in landscape mode?

Re: PDF functionality in ASUS Eee Note EA-800

If you are making your notes on a particular zoom level, then most likely you're reading (and always reading) the document in the same zoom level, so it might not be as big of a problem. And you can always do is zoom to 100% on any page you make a note and write "Scoring 150%" or something, as a visual indicator that something is written on that page at a zoom level hidden.

There's a "Go To" menu with the following options:
    • Table of contents
    • Annotations
    • Bookmarks
    • Marked Items
    • Content (%)

Although in reality you can only use the% to navigate a PDF without bookmarks, table of contents or annotations, do not choose a number%. You get a sliding scale that actually shows the page number you are. You have to play and guess along the bar, but at least the scroll bar displays the page you are on (not the% progress through the book). Therefore correct, simply enter a number. Tap along a horizontal marker line (as a rule) to try to getting closer.

So far so good! You do not need good lighting, because the contrast of the screen is a little low. Reading PDFs is a very good experience. Writing them down is fine, with the qualifications that I have written here and in the mobile thread Lee. Quick notes and sending the note is never good. If your workflow keeps everything in his work on this device, then I imagine it's great. If you're in suspense you can handwrite notes and make it auto converts to text, or to export PDF files with notes on them, or go to often and quickly the tablet to the computer with the files, you may prefer a real Tablet PC.

I have the Italian EeeNote comes with English and Italian dictionaries. I hope Asus firmware updates the Italian, so I can create a straightforward update via the standard technique. I actually want to keep away from having to do a factory reset again and misplace all my bookmarks, highlights, etc. Do you think Asus will continue to provide regular updates, or you think you expect users to do everything themselves?

I have read the installation instructions for the version of TW, but do not really understand. Install the installer Freenote easy, but do not understand what the connection via Telnet (tried and failed) and the installation of an Apache server. Do you mean install the Apache server in EeeNote or equipment, because I'm using Windows to connect and I'm not familiar with Apache, or even what it's for. As you say at the beginning of the instructions, "only do this if you know what you're doing." I obviously do not, so maybe I should not try.

Just to update the firmware of the Italian. I contacted Asus support and asked if the Italian would be updated firmware to the latest version that is used in other foreign models, and they said there was no plan to update the Italian model in the skyline. Perhaps we're concentrating on the 900 only. I hope we can start to update my firmware to version TW and get some of the programs in the 900 to 800. A translator would be a necessity for me as well as a semi-decent dictionary.