Thread: Troubleshooting WiFi DOA on Asus eee pc

Troubleshooting WiFi DOA on Asus eee pc

My eee note just inwards from ebay, and unhappily its wifi doesn't work. The Surface symptoms are that when 'turn on wifi' from top right --> complete freeze for 20+ seconds; 'wifi settings' (either from menu or top right) --> spins for a good long time, list of networks is empty going deeper after telnetting in. No wifi interfaces visible with iwconfig Errors in dmesg when trying to turn wifi on pastebin.

Re: Troubleshooting WiFi DOA on Asus eee pc

I had the same troubleshoot with me but after doing some code diving and comparing vs what ended up in dmesg, it looks like the wifi module is present and recognized, but there's an error early on in the init process (uploading firmware). See my the steps below that I have mentioned:

1. if I'm really fortunate, the wifi module is packaged in a way (as an SD card?) that I can replace. (Can't tell from the pics; might be hard to source the substitution part.)
    2. try to use a 2nd wifi card in the SD slot.
    3. Bite the bullet, ship it from other place, and buy another.

The wifi module is soldered to the main board. There is only single connection, and that is for the antenna. Your dmesg output also showed that your ext3 partition may be damage. That is the user partition which has your data, but it also contains the root partition with the wireless drivers and firmware file for the wireless device. You may judge doing an fsck on /dev/mss/blk0p6 to see if there are any problems. You could also do a firmware reload to see if that fixes the issue. If it's not a problem with the internal SD card image, then you should probably return it because the wireless device can't really be replaced.

If you ask me than i would like to inform you all that I just compared md5sums on /lib/firmware/mrvl/* vs. what's existing from support.asus.com (in the kernel source code download); they equivalent, so no dishonesty there. Perhaps there's a disk error in sd86xx.ko or the kernel itself, but that doesn't seem too probable. Next up I'll try a firmware reinstall, but I suspect I'll be packing this guy back into a box and sending it overseas. The reason behind this is that i expect a replacement of better product instead of it.

Perhaps it seems reasonable that we may have both been strike by a bad batch in the supply sequence anywhere; if so it would make sense that could have ended up in the hands of the same vendor is. I'll PM the name of the seller, and so far have been very receptive / professional so I doubt the faulty component would be their fault unless its "conversion into English" (they did it before shipping) is borked in somewhat seriously. All we can say is that its our bad luck and except the fact. It happens with electronic gadgets that you land up with a defected piece. So some what luck too matters.

It was a different vendor, but mine so do the "make English" procedure before shipping. I do not think the WLAN interface is completely broken, since once managed to find my wireless access points in Enote, but I do not know why it worked this time: S. How is the file / etc / wlan_config theoretical to look? I will try all possible ways to get rid of these. If it doesn't help me than i will contact the company through a reference of my friend. Till then just keeping my fingers crossed and pray to solve it soon.

Just a quick update for anyone who is watching: I went ahead and bit the bullet and sent U.S. $ my return back abroad. I hope I never have to deal with disputes eBay / PayPal, but I think I'll be fine. However, I'm hooked: reading anyone feel free to PM me to ebay / private seller of the option that works best for you, I'll make a second purchase soon. I hope my advice helps you and helps you get rid of them. I am happy and glad to help you all with my these post.