Thread: Unable to update BIOS in ASUS EeePC 900A/Linux Best edition

Unable to update BIOS in ASUS EeePC 900A/Linux Best edition

My query is related to improving the SSD and RAM, so I'm getting the BIOS brought the latest and greatest version. I'm using a 4 Gigabit USB flash drive that works with Ubuntu Netbook Remix v9.10 I installed the SSD market. All I can see that the ROM file is the only file on disk, the ROM file is a ZIP container, extracted the zip file, the flash drive is formatted as FAT32 on Linux can formatting, tried the two settings disabled quick boot in the current 0703 BIOS, save, reboot the system but does not help. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? This is a 900A; there is no tool option in these BIOS.

re: Unable to update BIOS in ASUS EeePC 900A/Linux Best edition

As for your idea about flashing a definite USB port, first, I know that 4G is functional (in Ubuntu) in the 3 USB connectors on the 900A, so this sounds like you are implying that the upgrade process only a specific port is selected for reading. I've seen the design posted previous, maybe in some models that I have no knowledge there. During part of the effort by a flash, I have put the flash drive 4G in every port, did not start the update process.

If you ask me that the port makes no difference, while the Eee is in the "Flash BIOS" mode and goes to "Checking the USB devices " (And) I do not see the part of the verification routine makes the 4G flash drives access LED on and off in a pattern, "short-time average was in the short term, out of a long distance short "and as the access LED will out of time, the screen updates to the" USB Device not found! " (And immediately re-initiate the search for "USB Device Control.) LED which is controlled by the chips in the 4G Flash drive, so I guess you are transferring data between the USB controller 900A and the chip control inside the flash drive. Not necessarily the content of the file system, but there is no reason to think that the LED flashes at a low level only interdevice command.

I even tried to press Alt-F2 as soon as the screen displays the message to press ALT-F2 to update the BIOS, this post is long before the stage of the boot screen later said that "initializing USB controllers" in really do not. Asus / BIOS of your computer to put things in this order of low probability, but again, I can be wrong the other hand, would be a bad situation. USB drivers if you need to update the BIOS, then I am a hose, because the BIOS does this, and is currently doing things in the wrong order (assuming that the controller needs to be initialized in order to update the BIOS) .

I tried the same flash unit 2G successfully flashed my 900A last time you updated.
    Code:
    "900.rom" fails in all 3 ports;
    "900a.rom" fails in all 3 ports,
    "900A.rom" fails in all 3 ports;
    "900A.ROM" fails in all 3 ports;
    "900a.ROM" fails in all 3 ports;
    "900.ROM" fails in all 3 ports.
    All this is because the documentation for the process of updating the BIOS is crap. There is no other possible permutation of the segments of the file name. Check for the flash drive was formatted (it had partitioned and formatted since the previous update of BIOS). The flash drive is FAT32, so I'll see if I can get a FAT16 on it, and try it all again.

This seems to be a FAT16 partition is necessary in the USB Flash Drive.

Message NOW says:
    File "900A.ROM" not found on USB Device!
    Now am flashing 1102.
    FWIW, you extracted the ROM 1102 to the root partition of the Flash format FAT16 drive, then copy that file as 900A.ROM on the same partition, along with the extracted file. Do not delete the original ROM file, so there are two files in the root directory. You can make more of an actual file, but only one file named exactly "900A.ROM." Executing them is the following:
    Code:
    Boot Block Compatible Version Ver.024
    Please do NOT insert any disc into CD-ROM or Floppy drive
    if you want to recover with an USB device.
    EZ-Flash starting BIOS update...
    USB Device found.
    Reading file "900A.ROM". Completed.
    Start Erasing...\
    Start Programming.../
    Start Erasing Boot Block...\
    Start Programming Boot Block.../

The BIOS update is finished.
    Please press power button to shut down the system._

Re: Unable to update BIOS in ASUS EeePC 900A/Linux Best edition

I have the perfect solution for everyone with the same delay. I had a 4-GB USB memory with FAT16 format. I downloaded the BIOS update and copied it to the USB stick. Then he changed the name to 901.ROM. I have the same messages as above. Over time I plugged it back into my computer and I noticed the name of the file had been reversed. I am 100% sure I changed it, so I changed the name again and tried again with the same process, and the same error. Again, I plugged back into my computer only to find the name had come again! So I copied the file to your desktop, changed its name to avoid 901.ROM and copied to the USB key. I repeated the process above and it worked.

ianny Guest

Re: Unable to update BIOS in ASUS EeePC 900A/Linux Best edition

Hi there... I'm in the same trouble.

my current bios version is 0306.
    I tried to update to 0607 and 1102, but failed with both.
    I have formatted the 4Gb USB drive with FAT16 and renamed the file "900A.ROM".

When I try to run the described procedure I get stuck in a loop. The display says:

Boot Block Compatible Ver.013
    [etc...]
    EZ-Flash starting bios update.....
    [etc...]
    Checking for USB device...
    USB device found.
    Reading file "900A.ROM"
    File "900A.ROM" not found in USB device!
    Checking for USB device...
    USB device found.
    Reading file "900A.ROM"
    File "900A.ROM" not found in USB device!
    this goes on forever, so I have to switch the PC off with the main power switch.

Any ideas?
    Thanks