Thread: Fan making loud noise in Lenovo ThinkPad X1

Fan making loud noise in Lenovo ThinkPad X1

Recently I have purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad X1(1294-2NG). My ThinkPad contains windows 7 pro. This installation had come by default when I had bought it. Whenever I boot my system I get a loud noise from the fan. This noise is for around ten minutes even when there is no load on the CPU. Does this issue an old issue and known issue of Lenovo X1.Is there any new BIOS update that is creating this problem? Please give me any suggestions regarding this issue. Kindly guide me on this.

Re: Fan making loud noise in Lenovo ThinkPad X1

Well I think there must be some problem with the fan that is installed in your CPU. Many a times it could be that the fan is not proper. I would ask you to remove the fan from the CPU. It could be that due to dust this noise problem has arisen. You can use combination of a vacuum cleaner and an air dusting spray to clean from outside. I hope this works for you.

Once I had the same problem and didn’t know what to do then one of my friends asked me to install the latest firmware for my think pad. I installed it and my problem was solved. So even you can try this method. Download the latest firmware update available for your thinkpad and get it installed in your system. You can download it from the internet by visiting the official sites available. After downloading, install it and reboot your system.

I think that this is surely the hardware problem. It could be the fan problem. But I am not sure. I have the same problem. I tried cleaning the fan and even uninstalled and installed the fan back but it didn’t help in any way. The noise from the fan still persists. What do I do? I think I need to replace the fan. Please suggest me that would replacing the fan solve the issue?

I would recommend you to try to upgrade the BIOS. It updates a system to accept hardware and it even fixes any bug present in the system. Upgrading should fix the problem of your fan. Restart your system and when the first page loads then keep pressing F10 button from the keyboard. Then you will enter the BIOS settings. Make some changes accordingly in the BIOS, save it and the system will reboot.

I will suggest you to remove the fan from your CPU and take the fan to the hardware shop. Ask them to guide you on this issue. They are the expert people for this. If there is some problem with the fan then you will have to get it replaced or else you will have to check the system. If there is something with the system then check for more details on various forums available on internet.

I tried upgrading the BIOS but it didn’t help me in any way. I would recommend you to call the Lenovo customer service and ask them for assistance. You can also try to install the new version of operating system. May be this will help you. For reinstalling operating system ask the Lenovo people to format the system as they have some abilities to keep the back up of your system files.