Thread: What is HP WSD.dat

What is HP WSD.dat

I have just recently purchased an hp pavilion laptop and I have just upgraded my laptop to an latest Windows 7 operating system from the previous Windows Vista operating system, I had been facing many problem since, then try to trouble shoot then by myself but , I was not been able to do that, so I took my laptop to the nearest service center and they solved the problem for free as my laptop was new and was still in warranty . But when Brought my laptop back I saw a weird file named hpwsd.dat on my desktop, is that is virus ?

Re: What is HP WSD.dat

That would possible not be a virus as if that was one then the HP service center executive might have cleared it up , I think is process that was been left over by the virus when it has been removed by the anti-virus , utility , try delete ling it , or to go in a proper way try to open that file and see what does it do , and then if not found any usefull take a back up of this file in pen-drive and then delete the file .And see if that causes you any problem ,

I have found the same file in my recovery drive that I used the file but , I don ‘t really look like a recovery file , I have followed the step ‘s given by the above user and tried to open it , but it does not open up and as it is working with any process that is going on ,and when I try to copy that to other location well I can do that , but the movement I try to delete that file I am just not able to do this , any help would be greatly appreciated .

I have a solution for you ,, if you don ‘t have any data in your recovery disk , or your D drive , then why don ‘t you just format that drive through command prompt or directly by left clicking on it , I would more on like to say if this files is not causing you any problem then just leave it as it is and that won’t cause you anything ,but , deleting it or modifying it may even increase the problem that you are facing ,

This thread has gone in a wrong direction this file that you all are talking about is just a part of the Hp support Assistant system that is used to fetch out the warrantry details from your laptop and that would not cause you any problem it may be used by the hp employees to check the warrantry of your system and then they might have forgot to delete that file and that all there is nothing to worry about this file , this file won ‘t cause your system any harm

I think that was a mistake that was more over caused by the hp service center their employees left a file name with such a weird name on my d drive which made me panic for nothing and that casued all the series of suggestion that I see above , but , that was good on the other way around as I got to know that this file is not the virus infected as I previsouly though and is insteas used to take a warrantry details out iof my laptop , thanks to all those who have support me .