Thread: The Darn DRM in Kindle

The Darn DRM in Kindle

While you acquire a book a book on Amazon is DRM, which is proprietary software that limits what we can do with the book. If you acquire a paper book, you can do something with it. You can lend a friend or give it away. The DRM notifies you what you can act with the Kindle book. You may not be able to listen to your book if this feature is disabled. If the publisher sells the book in audio form, can be the editor to be sure that it will implement this restriction. As well, the DRM can disable the loan.

Re: The Darn DRM in Kindle

Not all the books Amazon have DRM. The writers and editors who publish through the Amazon Kindle is the opportunity to direct the publication to enable or disable the DRM. I do not think that the DRM mode is listed in detail in the book, but what the authors / publishers, who do not want to be sure that DRM is that the page says the product, the selling point for many people. As a reader and book buyer on Amazon, I'm fine with the system because it is now. I do not think that Amazon would never "go under", but if he does not see an ethical problem and the dismantling of the DRM - at the time - so you can continue reading the books I've paid.

Amazon's DRM is basically free. They just add in on the fly when you download the book. A small amount of additional processing on the server. I would be hard to say that even the cost of 1 cent. No contract with Adobe, as a lot of other vendors. As the OP probably knows the variation between a paperback and an eBook is that you can have many copies of an eBook without losing their own copy, and that's why publishers want DRM to prevent additional unauthorized copies. Actually, I've been noticing more and more books without DRM on Amazon. I doubt that Amazon is going to collapse in the foreseeable future.

I think at this point of DRM is inconvenient quite necessary. Yes, you can break. But I think the rules of exchange (multiple turns in an account first) are quite generous (I have 10 and 15 devices in my account). I think the cost of getting books in eBook format. I'd rather have a large number of books with DRM that a too small number of books obtainable lacking DRM. I acquired and read it Baen Amazon for years earlier than it took off, but the benefits of an incorporated system outweigh think DRM-free books.

I do not think there's much to worry about the format change anytime soon. Can be improved, such as adding page numbers in the book, or even borrowing capacity (I think the original mobi format. They had already built expiration dates), but the database format should be around for quite some time. From the Amazon has the format. Mobi /. Prc, do not have to pay a license to another company (such as payment for using your Adobe ePub DRM), so it is an incentive to keep the format for a while.

Authors today can only decide if a book is able to pay or not. They cannot allow that paid more than once today. So I think she was saying that authors should not be punished because of the limited borrowing capacity, as it cannot be changed to allow unlimited loans. They could go DRM-free, but your previous post shows that you like DRM as it does only one person may have to copy both as a paper book. So what you would like the option of having their books have DRM, but did allow an infinite number of times.

That would be great. I would not mind if my book was lent several times. No different than if I loan a book to a friend. If they like, they are more probable to acquire what they would have if I did not read at all. The main suitable grievance about DRM is that it allows loans. And I think that is somewhat that should be detached. A few of the other causes people need to remove DRM do not remember, but lending is definitely something to do.

I had not thought about it either. However, after hearing his explanation of his reasoning, I agree with him. No DRM is a bitter pill for authors who want to benefit from swallowing for the reasons outlined. People can make copies that several people may have at one time and therefore erodes an unlimited number of sales opportunities. But at the same time, the current DRM is too restrictive in some respects - limited funding is one of them. So the authors may be unfairly punished by the people jumping out of their books have DRM and can only be paid once, when the authors that currently cannot change the credit limits.