Thread: Is it prefer to gift kindle 3 to an old people

Is it prefer to gift kindle 3 to an old people

I am giving my mom a new Kindle 3 for her birthday since she has wanted one for awhile. She is 87 and sometimes struggles learning to use new technology. Anyone out there who has given a Kindle to an elderly parent? Hints on helping her to learn how to use her new device? My initial plan is to stick to simple basics like on/off, page turns and how to select a book from her list to read. I would love to hear from others who have gone through this same experience and techniques that made the transition to an EReader simple.

Re: Is it prefer to gift kindle 3 to an old people

I gave my 92 year old aunt one for last Christmas. A DX as the bigger screen was better since she'd need one of the largest of the font sizes. I included a printed sheet of basics for folks who might be there to help when I wasn't there. She loved it. and did call me several times to talk her through things. If you're physically in the same area, it will be easier. I left it registered to my account and pre-loaded it with some titles I thought she'd like from my library. The hardest thing for her was switching it out of sleep as she had a little trouble feeling the slider switch.

Hello thank you for your reply. That’s so beautiful. I wish my mom was still here to give her one. She would love it. Her eyesight also failed, so could only 'listen' to books. She was a librarian and avid reader and she used to beat people at scrabble online at the age of 81 so she would LOVE kindle! What you guys think. I hope that you guys will share additional information about it. I am waiting for your some more replies on it thank you.

What a wonderful gift! That's such a great thing that you're doing for your mother. Maybe you could load up the Kindle with some of your mother's favorite books. I think another nice gift might be an audio book, so your mother could hear the stories read by a human voice. Sometimes they're read by a celebrity or a favorite actor or even by the author themselves! So I think now you have on more option to gift your mom thank you.

You might want to take the Kindle out of its package before you give it to your mother, so you can charge it before you give it to her and set it up so it's displaying text in a nice large font that's easy to read. Your mother might appreciate it if you show her where the font key is, so she can adjust the text sizes herself. But pressing the font key also lets you activate the "text to speech" option. When you were a girl your mother probably read to you but now you've given her a device which can read to her!

Hello it’s really nice to see that you are giving this kindle 3 to your mom as a gift. I will only say that kindle 3 is awesome. The first thing you supposed to be acquainted with about the "3 Kindle" is that it is additional evolutionary than revolutionary. The majority importantly, Amazon has made its e-reader 6 inches smaller and lighter and has superior the screen. The Kindle has as well taken the key of Wi-Fi for its rival, Barnes & Noble Nook.

Thanks everyone. Gave my mother her Kindle today and she is delighted. She caught on quickly to the basic functions and I plan to teach her the more advanced functions such as book ordering after she has had it for awhile. I loaded it with several books from my own collection as well as one of her favorite authors. I am lucky to live close by so I can help her on an as needed basis. She did indeed; spend many hours reading to me as a child - I think that is where my own love of reading came from. I feel fortunate to be able to give the gift of reading back to her!