Thread: Get rid of Bookcase because of Kindle dependency

Get rid of Bookcase because of Kindle dependency

I have become so needy on Kindle for reading that I have determined to throw out my bookcase and the majority of my books! There are a few that have sappy value, and some such as folio style books that can't be simulated digitally (up till now) but excluding that there's no benefit in having this vast monolith of paper sitting in the bend of my living room. Has anybody else come to this decision up till now? What you do with your bookcase?

Re: Get rid of Bookcase because of Kindle dependency

I feel like I should be moving in that direction, but I cannot bring myself to do it! I'm sure there will be plenty of books that never get rid of, but I'm sure you could "thin the herd" a bit if I put my mind to it. But I did it once before, years ago, to get rid of some books that I felt I could not read it again and did not need to maintain and found it very difficult to get rid of them. I love my books and I have a great sentimental attachment to them.

I had a lot of paperbacks that had amassed over the years. The majority of them had been read as a minimum a pair of times. The covers were damaged and had been taped. They were dirty and old. Some of the novels in hardcover. I gave it all to my sister's teenage nephew since he reads a lot. He was happy to receive them. I thought it duplicates most of the books online. Some I was able to free himself, but others I have purchased. As almost all the books of my work, I replaced Kindle books.

Nope. In fact I have plans to buy 5 more IKEA Billy bookshelves in my reading nook / library. Maybe I'll consider was the least of my approaches to school / college. But she is still in the learning process of reading and books are the key to holding their interest. And as much as I loved my iPhone and e-books, I think I was delighted to discover that the picture of my old Nancy Drew books and more Black Stallion!

Some years ago I gave my bound copies of the Encyclopedia Britannica and was glad to see them. Releases a large amount of shelf space. A couple of years later I filled the back of my truck with the books and donated them to the library for its annual sale. I'm pretty minimized on the shelves already, but still I have boxes of books in the attic. My friend recently returned from an agreement with 8 or 10 books, and I just groaned. There is no place for them, but they were sitting on the batteries.

I got rid of 90% of my paperbacks, only keeping a few that I can read again and are not available on the Kindle. It as well had all my reference books (generally chronological) not any of which are obtainable on the Kindle. Many of my hardcover books are signed first editions so just thinned by about 25%. However, that meant reducing collection of books, including all kinds of books, about a thousand books! Goodwill was very happy and I've done a lot of space.

I downloaded almost all my fiction paperbacks and hardbacks, 300 to 400 books in total. I kept my history books and glossy coffee table books, and my team EB mass (which, when combined with the collection of major works and a collection of American history is enormous). Get the iPhone prompted me to dump about half of my comics, though I really like reading comics on the iPad (need a resolution a little and I worry about the portability of content).

I have shelves in the east and west walls of the library floor to ceiling. I prefer books. I mostly buy eBooks now, especially for reading a shutdown. But I can buy the poetry, plays, and those beautiful settings page (picture books based on the type) in the paper. Actually, I have not bought an electronic book in a couple of months. Our local library has just saturation and from what I've been watching and reading in my pocket Sony. I choose what I read, watch saturation, the plan if it does go on, and so far has had.