Thread: Should I go for Kindle or Sony eBook reader?

Should I go for Kindle or Sony eBook reader?

I want to buy an ebook reader but I am confused in two brands. I am confused that should I go for either a Kindle or a Sony. The Kindle is obviously so much cheaper than the Sony, yet the Kindle is restricted to downloading only from Amazon whilst the Sony can download from anywhere. In practice does this matter? Yet there are so many sources of free books that I do wonder. I am posting this over here so that I can know that what the other people think regarding these two. Please guide me with your suggestion. Thank you so much in advance.

Re: Should I go for Kindle or Sony eBook reader?

I have both Kindle and Sony ereaders. While I am not limited to Amazon for my kindle book sources, I cannot buy from Amazon or Barnes & Noble for my Sony ereader. I use it for my library ebooks. I don't buy books for my Sony. Amazon has the best ebook store. Different people have different opinion about this but my suggestion to you is to go with the Kindle and that will be the best option for you.

I always found that the Sony hardware better than the Kindle (especially prior to the K3 which was finally decent looking hardware). But the Kindle store's selection and prices and Whisper synch with all the Kindle apps on various platforms has kept me on the Kindle platform. I would love for DRM to go away so we could buy whatever e-reader hardware we want and buy books from any stores without having to strip DRM etc. Hopefully it will be like music and eventually go away.

I am also having both and while I really like my Sony device, the only real advantage I can think of is the ability to read library books (which we'll be able to do on our Kindles later this year). I much prefer the Kindle store over the Sony store (which, IMHO, just looks like Sony doesn't really care about selling books) and, as mentioned above, there are many places outside Amazon to get Kindle books.

I would recommend the Kindle devoid of any doubt. The features are essentially the same, but there is a "behind the scenes" difference is equivalent to crossing the Rubicon. The Kindle has a file that the user can download from the Kindle called "My Clippings.txt." It is a sequential text file of all points of interest, notes and bookmarks. You can do whatever you want with that file. In addition, the Calibre freeware can convert any text in Kindle format. I use it all the time.