Thread: How to disable Wifi at startup on Acer aspire 5742G

How to disable Wifi at startup on Acer aspire 5742G

Hello,

I have installed windows XP on my new Acer aspire 5742G notebook. Everything on the system is working fine without any issues but I need to know how to disable Wifi at startup. I am actually looking to disable the WIFI on startup because due to this the system battery life is continuously decreasing. I cannot find any guide on how to disable it, so if anyone knows a way then please tell me about it. Thanks

Re: How to disable Wifi at startup on Acer aspire 5742G

First of all click on the Start icon and after that click on Run. Now here you have to type services.msc and after that click on the ok button. Now you will get the service windows and under that locate the Wireless Zero Configurations and after that select it. Now here you will get the option to Stop it and after stopping it the wifi network will be disabled in your laptop. To start wifi again restart the same service.

I would like to recommend you to create disablewireless.bat file. To create the disablewireless.bat file you need to follow the below steps:
    First click on start and after that click on run. Now on the run type notepad and after that press Enter key. Now you will get the notepad and under that type the below code:
    devcon disable *DEV_4319*
    Now once you have written this code then save the file as disablewireless.bat. Now once you have saved it then create the shortcut on windows XP startup folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup) and whenever you want to disable the wifi then simply double click on this bat file.

Even I was facing the same issue on my Acer laptop. I also tried to reinstall the wireless drivers but was still having the same issue. The problem is actually with the launch manager. So, I downloaded it from the Acer website and installed it in my system. Now the wifi switch is working properly and I can even turn it on or off whenever I want to. Hope this helps you out.