Thread: Not able to boot from recovery DVD on my Compaq laptop CQ71-210ED.?

Not able to boot from recovery DVD on my Compaq laptop CQ71-210ED.?

Hi I have been using my laptop Compaq CQ71-210ED from past one year but recently I had damaged my hard drive so I had to install a new hard drive on my laptop. As after ordering a recovery DVD from HP when I tried to install the recovery DVD on my new hard drive I was not able to install and boot. I tried doing it number of times but was not able to do so! So can anyone tell me how can I install the system my new hard drive now and boot it with the recovery DVD?

Re: Not able to boot from recovery DVD on my Compaq laptop CQ71-210ED.?

Hi I would surely like to help you but can you please me that are you getting any kind of error message while installing the recovery DVD on your hard drive for booting up your laptop from recovery DVD? And also mention the error message if you are getting any! As this will help me in guiding you in better way for your problem!

Hi even I have a similar as of you I had recently tried to install a Vista recovery CD on my laptop, I had downloaded the recovery CD from internet, but I am not able to install it as the error message says that a file named as "install.wim" is missing in the CD that is needed to install Vista on my computer! So I was just looking for an answer for my problem, please help.

Hi thank you so much for your quick response, as I would like to tell you that when I try to install the recovery DVD on your hard drive for booting up my laptop from recovery DVD I get an error message that says "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". I just can’t understand that why can’t a system recovery be easy!!!

Hi you can try this way which I had had tried during my problem, just follow the below steps:
    • Kindly insert the Recovery DVD Disc first in to the DVD drive.
    • Now shutdown your laptop and
    • Now turn on your laptop and
    • Press esc button and see if this can access the boot menu.
    • If it is able to access then, select the DVD drive and press enter.

Hi thanks for the suggestion given by you, but as when I restarted my laptop after inserting the disk and pressed the esc button as you said but the menu shows me some options like
    ”F1 System information”
    “F2 System Diagnostics”
    Etc.
    As, even the startup could not get it done, I also selected the DVD drive and pressed enter, but still I get the same error as "No bootable device” I am not able to make it out what is the exact problem!

Press F9 instead of 'Esc' while turning on your laptop or try logging in to BIOS by hitting F10 while booting up recovery DVD. Check if the drives are detected or not, if the Hard Disc Drive is not detected then you should check all the cable connection and reseat it. Or if you want to reload the default BIOS settings on your motherboard you will have to hit F12 option to boot your device.