Thread: HDMI port not working on Dell Alienware M11x R2

HDMI port not working on Dell Alienware M11x R2

3 months ago I bought a new Dell Alienware M11x R2 laptop for myself. I am using HDMI port to connect an external monitor at my place but now it doesnt work anymore? I have already used different hdmi cables on different monitors and it seem to have the same issue. All I am getting is "no signal" on the monitor and the laptop is not able to detect the display as well. When I connect it on the display port then only it works? Any ideas how to solve this problem? Thanks

Re: HDMI port not working on Dell Alienware M11x R2

At the time you are trying to use the Hdmi out then are you forcing the Nvidia Optimus to use the discrete graphics card rather than the onboard Intel graphics? If it is possible then can you try to clean off the dust from the hdmi port and then try to connect to this port again and see if that works for you or not. Try to clean from the inside of the port as well by removing the bottom shell.

I have noticed that you have to switch to the Nvidia graphics card to output over HDMI on the R1 model of this laptop. For your R2 model it must remain the same. You can also try to press FN+F2 or Win+P key on your keyboard which will let you to cycle through display options. Or else press the mouse's second button on desktop and go in Screen Resolution and configure the screen share from there. This way the hdmi should work now.

I will also recommend you to move the resolution slider up slowly to check what maximum resolution you can get on your monitor. Just note that the screen could go black on the monitor while doing this settings so you can do this on your laptop screen easily. If still this doesnt work, then open Nvidia Control Panel and then choose Manage 3D settings. After that go to Global Settings tab and then choose Integrated graphics and click apply and ok. Now try to configure the monitor using the Intel display settings and see what do you get.