Thread: Does dell alienware M15x supports AMD 6970m and Nvidia GTx 470m GPU

Does dell alienware M15x supports AMD 6970m and Nvidia GTx 470m GPU

Hi, I have a dell alienware’s M15x and its is too good but If we concern about the GPU, it seems older while playing the games, so I have decided to update that in the machine, but I have also heard that dell has discontinued to make this laptop, so can we update the GPU still? I came across too many GPU models, and among them I have decided to have either AMD 6970m or Nvidia GTx 470m, so my question is like can we update this, and I have no worry about the warranty as I am running the machine out of the warranty date. Any suggestion?

Re: Does dell alienware M15x supports AMD 6970m and Nvidia GTx 470m GPU

Yeah off course you can do that, rather I would say this is the best option for the user who is already run out of warranty, for them this is a enormous alternative, and you can contact the dell only for these replacement. And the model that you have mentioned is very good and work best with the machine that you have so you can pick any of them, but if you concern about the price, you should get the cheaper one.

Thanks dude for the reply but I am quite unsure about this, because I have some doubt regarding the heating issue also, because the one that I have in my machine is working very good with no other issue but if suppose I upgrade it to one of the model than will it increase the heat in machine? this is the major issue that always make me worry, and won’t allow myself to upgrade the hardware.

Don’t worry about that as you will not face any such issue in your laptop after up gradation but still you have to make sure about this, and as far as I know, both model has a built in fans on that so it will avoid overheating, but according to me as you already plan to put that, I would also suggest you that along with that you should put the thermal background also around the CPU. So it will also help somehow avoiding overheating.

According to me you should get the GPU from the NVIDIA only, and I would like to tell you some of the thing to be considered before replacing the hardware, like download the respective drivers for whatever hardware that you install in your machine. I personally uses latest Nvidia beta driver that’s version v275.27. Together with that get GPU-Z for observing your GPU and confirming it. Make sure you have thermal paste, because as you have mentioned about the overheating, so this should be avoid.

I think card works good at 2d clock, but for using it at 3D you must have to mod the drivers and update the BIOS also, and I would like to recommend you that as before replacement you should clean the heat sink and then only change the GPU otherwise in some times only you’ll start getting problems.

Hi mate, im thinking of upgrading my GPU aswell.
    Got this nice web site you might want to look into, abouth the 6970.

Wanna let me know what GPU you did choose and how it worked out?

Sry for my bad english and GL