Thread: How to configure Android UI with ADWLauncher

How to configure Android UI with ADWLauncher

Hey guys, I am very new to the Android as I recently purchased my first Android 2.2- Froyo running mobile phone. So, please do co-operated with me and try helping me solve my query. I am looking for some neat and clean Android interface for my mobile phone. I need this inorder to easily configure the settings. I have heard from friends that some app called ADWLauncher is capable of achieving all these requirement. So I am interested in knowing some more about the ADWLauncher app.

Re: How to configure Android UI with ADWLauncher

All the Android phones have got very different user interface, which can be annoying for users and customer service. Each of these User interface have got some good and bad points in it. But luckily, Android users are not vulnerable to only one interface. With some efforts, you can easily install another user interface and make it run on the Android device. You don’t even have to root the mobile phone in order to achieve this feature. ADWLauncher is one of the cleanest and most configurable Android UI which I have come across.

In order to install the ADWLauncher app in your Android mobile phone, first of all make sure that your mobile is connected to the Internet connection through GPRS, EDGE or WiFi as per the situation. Once you are within the connection, visit the official website of Android Market and search for the “Adw launcher”. You will find many different apps with this name but most of them are just themes and nothing else except the very first two in the list. You will find ADWLauncher and ADWLauncher EX in the top two position of the list. The ADWLauncher is a free version app while the ADWLauncher EX is paid one which will cost upto $3.99. the paid version will come along with many more features then the free version of the same apps.

Once you have completed with the installation process of ADWLauncher application is installed, press the Home button of your mobile phone which will prompt the user to select the program which he/she wish to use for his mobiles Home Screen. You will be seeing the default UI until you create and set one launcher of your choice. You will be noticing that this newly created UI will be displayed everytime you are hit on your mobile’s home screen. You can make the newly created UI by ADW as your default launcher.

The central ADW Launcher consist of docks that can accommodate 0, 1, 3, or 5 launcher by default, and the Dock is set to 3 launchers by default. I'm also using the following Launcher and it is configured to display up to 5 launchers. You can add a launcher to open the drawer of the application and click and drag a launcher to the dock. The default desktop can also accommodate on your mobile phone’s screen. To add launchers, you have to click and hold on the desktop and select what you wish to add.

The setting is where ADW stands above many other desktops apps available for Android phones in the Market, but to get the configuration done, will be little hectic for you. When you press the Menu button, you have to tap the More option and then click on the ADW Settings option. You can do the further configuration from here:
    • Backup and restore
    • Drawer Settings
    • General Behavior
    • Screen Preferences
    • System preferences
    • Themes Preferences
    • UI Settings

You can go to the general Behavior and set the following features to create a clean desktop:
    1. Home Button Binding: you can Show/Hide statusbar.
    2. Swipe Down Action: In order to Open/close notifications.
    3. Swipe Up Action: for opening and closing App drawer.

You can also go to the User Interface settings and change the following few features:
    1. Main Dock Style
    2. Autohide Desktop Indicator