Thread: restart option doesn't work laptop shuts down

restart option doesn't work laptop shuts down

after reinstalling Vista on my laptop and all working fine it now won't restart when that option is chosen and stays shut down. I tried to make a restart button for the desktop but this did not work. Any suggestions please - i'm not technical so need layman's terms please

Re: restart option doesn't work laptop shuts down

Even i too faced this problem on my windows xp long back.. but the only way i fixed it was by formatting. Note: i am not computer freak. Hope anyone else can give you proper solution for this. Till than what i can suggest you is System Restore OR Windows Update . See if it works for you.

Thanks for your reply...it was all working fine after I did a complete reinstal and then possibly after Microsoft did updates it wouldn't work. I used my Vista CD repair option [didn't cure it] and then did the memory check and it worked. Then used microsoft "Fix it" software to check pc and it updated the Sigma Tel audio driver and now I have 2 separate icons of these[both same name]in my control panel but my device manager says for Sound ie Speakers/headphones I use Sigma Tel high definition audio CODEC and this is the one under the Sound icon in my control panel [the 2 Sigma icons are not in the Sound icon].
    I'm loathed to do a system restore as this didn't cure the problem even though I knew it worked at that restore point. I also have a complete pc backup on a separate hard drive [made a few days ago] when it was working then but found at a previous dated backup it didn't restore that" restart "option so haven't used this backup yet..

It seems that you have many many problems on your system now. As you said System Restore wont works, you got few more problems after Windows Update, even System Backup is not gonna work.. So if you try fixing them one by one.. am sure it will be a huge headache. Better, take backup of your important Datas and reinstall Vista again. I know it should be the very last option but in this situation, i guess it is the only solution.

I've just run a memory check using the driver/diagnostics cd and no problems found but my "restart" option now works. If past experience is anything to go by in a few days it will stop working.
    I'm reluctant to do a complete new instal as you suggest in case that still won't resolve the problems due to the fact I've just done one a few days ago and the problem keeps happening. However I see from old notes that once Vista has loaded then i should instal the drivers with the chipset driver installed first [which i didn't do on the last clean instal a few days ago]...presumeably the drivers are on the driver/diagnostics cd and not the Vista OS cd. Can I not try and instal any missing drivers now from the cd?
    Hate to do all that reinstal of Updates again if I can avoid it!!!!
    thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Fran Shea View Post
    Can I not try and instal any missing drivers now from the cd? Hate to do all that reinstal of Updates again if I can avoid it!!
    I dont think so that you should not any install any missing drivers later from the CD. You can. but better than that.. i'll suggest you (as i do) to better update it directly from internet or Device Manager, rather than CD. About Windows Update.. I would like to say that i always keep it Off. I never do windows update on my system. Its really very annoying.

I agree about windows update - every time I get a problem it's due to corrupt updates and does cause major problems. But I'd hesitate to stop installing updates - surely that's worse than doing them! Any I have done the checks for driver updates as you suggested and all seem ok. The error message I get now when turning on pc after hibernation is that Windows Explorer can't start and I get the option to restart it and all then ok...seems one thing after another but pc still working though I do need to sort it out....

Can you click on the details of the error report of "windows explorer is not working", if it is related to mpegsplitter.ax then you simply need to uninstall the codec, it might be either k-lite codec or some other. Just delete this file, either by going to windows vista or opening command prompt in task manager under file, select new task and type cmd. The file will be located in program files, k-lite codec, filters. Just delete this file and restart.

ok thanks - next time it happens then I'll look at that. The trouble is all the faults are intermiittent but once again "restart" not working...

ok just unchecked Windows Live Messenger from starting up and then had to restart pc for it to take effect. Had the following error message
    Explorer.exe - Application error
    the instruction at 0x009f4ca2 referenced memory at 0x038f1c8. The memory could not be read
    Click OK to terminate the program.

Also underneath error message had two more

explorer.exe
    This program is preventing your computer from restarting

explorer.exe - Application error.

When I clicked ok to terminate pc restarted ok.
    Tried to Google error message but nothing showed up and Microsoft site doesn't help either.

Have you tried with safe mode? Well if your answer is no then i recommend that you should boot your computer into safe mode. You can use the following instruction to boot into Safe mode.
    • you should reboot your laptop and Start tapping F8 key from the keyboard.
    • now you have to select Safe Mode from Advanced Boot Menu by using arrow key and press enter.
    • It would load all the default drivers.

you have to see whether issue is persisting or not.

Hi
    I did a clean instal again thinking that would work but no - the problem is now Vista service pack SP1 - won't instal. Have tried everything re the error message and more but it won't instal using Update or standalone .Have emailed microsoft today for help but judging by the amount of users having had the same problem with little help from Microsoft I'm not sure I'll get it fixed. Could be a corrupt driver or one not compatible with SP1.
    Would sure like someone out there who has solved this same problem to tell me how to do it. In the meantime I'll wait for Microsoft to contact me..

Is this error occuring when you try to install a language version of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 that is not supported by the currently installed version of Windows Vista. There are two stand-alone packages of Windows Vista Service Pack 1. So try to install the stand-alone package of Windows Vista SP1 that contains 36 languages.

I've tried the 5 language one and the one on download.com but both get interrupted and won't download fully. Just disabled the sigma Tel driver in device manager for audio but that wasn't the cause - windows update still won't download it. so will try your suggestion thanks.