Thread: Application to play media stored on NAS for iPad

Application to play media stored on NAS for iPad

I have recently purchased the 16 GB wifi iPad. I want to play the media files that are on my NAS. I am not able to find out the way to play media files such as AVI, ISO, VBO+IFO, etc on my iPad which are stored on my NAS without needing it to download it into the iPad. Are there any applications that will allow me to do so? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Application to play media stored on NAS for iPad

I am also streaming the videos and music’s. For videos I use the Airvideo, this application will allow you to enjoy your video collection from anywhere you are. This supports all the files such as Divx, MKV, AVI and also many more videos. And for the music I use the Audiogalaxy Mobile which will allow you to stream your music and playlist that you have stored in your computer to take and go where ever you go.

If you find that your NAS is able to support UPnP, then I think you can access your music directly. With PlugPlayer you get the music directly from the NAS to the iPad. This application can have both the NAS as a media server and also iPad as a media renderer. You can get more functionality from the PlugPlayer, but if you just want to get the music streamed from NAS to iPad then you can do it. I am not telling that it is one of the best interfaces but for you can do the thing that you want to do.

As you are saying that you want to stream and listen the music directly from the NAS to your iPad. So for that reason I don’t think that it will be possible to do so, without storing the music in your iPad. You cannot access music from anywhere else without storing them into your iPad. But if you are trying to stream the music from the NAS then you will surely be required some or the other application to play them directly.

I don’t think that you can access the music directly from the NAS. You need to access it through the system that is running the AirVideo application as a desktop component. I am using one of the applications called the Zumocast that is available for free of cost. This application also does the same thing that others do but not as much better also. But, this application will allow me to stream all the video and music over the iPad.

I have come across many applications that will help you play more formats of the files which iPad can even play. I have heard many applications like AirVideo and Zumocast that can help you to play the videos and music over your iPad. But I have tried the Buzz Player HD, I found this very good and can play all the formats that you want to play on the iPad. This will also help you to play the music from the NAS also.