Thread: Thinkpad T410 intakes dust by placing it on surface

Thinkpad T410 intakes dust by placing it on surface

I am having the Thinkpad T410 and one of my friends told me that if I put my laptop on the surface directly like on carpet or on the table that is a bit dusty then it will intake the dust particles in it and that may destroy the laptop. I want to ask that if this is myth or a fact. If this is right then please tell me that if the damage is negligible? Please reply this, I have bought it new and I don’t want it to go with any king of damage. Thank you!!!

Re: Thinkpad T410 intakes dust by placing it on surface

That not matters much that where you are placing your laptop unless it is too dirty and full of dust. If you are using the laptop in a room that is completely clean then also it is going to do that in some amount. I never worried about that. If you think that it can damage your laptop then what you can do is just blow the compressed air through your laptop, at least two times in a year and that will avoid any such kind of issues.

If the table you are placing your laptop is having dust on that and laptops takes in the air then it is obvious that it is going to take in the dust particles in that along with it. But that does not harm your computer so frequently. All you have to do is just clean inside your computer one or two time in a year and you will be out of any such issues. So don’t worry so much, it’s not only for you. Its same for all the people using laptop.

More than just dust and debris would get into the laptop will get in from the carpet; I'd be more concerned about inhibiting airflow. Unless you have a very short stiff rug that might block the ventilation holes to some extent and this could lead to even higher temperatures and overheating. Never put them on a carpet or bed, etc., blocking the entrance (if it is at the bottom) and overheating.

Keep your laptop on top of anything but a completely flat surface will likely result in faster accumulation of dust, not to mention overheating due to blockage of air vents. There are many methods to make use of the laptop though lying in bed even. Put a wooden surface resting on the bed and put the laptop on a flat surface and that's all. That way you will not obstruct the flow of air (provided of course, the script created by the weight is small - the bed is a bit firmer).

My proposal is to stay away from any blow compressed air at all. By doing this, you force fine powder in the spaces between components; blocking the path of the air and building it more complicated to take out dust blocks. I agree that the only method is to disassemble and clean. Another difficulty is the fan dirty. I saw a few fans through so much dirt on blades to make them approximately ineffective. Take time to clean the inside of the leaves and clean them all, otherwise a land only blade vibration can cause annoying and dangerous. Also watch the copper heatsink and try to free all the blanks with a brush, even the finest carpet of dust on the copper surface has an insulating power.