Thread: getting message to update Firmware of PS3 when trying to connect a new hard drive

getting message to update Firmware of PS3 when trying to connect a new hard drive

I had a Generation 1 PS3 that was dead after upgraded the hard drive. So I recently purchased a new PS3 and put the upgraded hard drive in it but after putting that hard drive the unit had stopped working. It shows a message that I need to update the firmware, so had downloaded the firmware on to a portable drive under a file titled PS3 and sub folder titled UPDATE. But when I run the new PS3 its not able to find the folder to update the unit. Any ideas what we're doing wrong?

Re: getting message to update Firmware of PS3 when trying to connect a new hard drive

That sounds sad; can you please tell me that was the portable drive formatted to FAT32 by you? As this might be the reason, why your PS3 is not able to find the folder to update the unit. Kindly check your portable drive and try connecting it to your PS3 see if it detects the device or not. Try updating it if it detects the device.

Re: getting message to update Firmware of PS3 when trying to connect a new hard drive

Thanks for giving your reply; I am not that sure that the drive is formatted to FAT32. As I don’t know how to check it if its formatted to FAT32 or not. It's currently loaded with a lot of music files on it. If I format it to FAT32 will that destroy up the other files? As there many other file in that drive that are very important, and I don’t want to see them destroyed! Please help me with this issue.

Alright I will try helping you go to "My Computer" now you will be able to see the drives IE OS(C and possibly a few more if you have an external HDD hooked up. Now insert the storage device you are using, it will appear as a drive that was not there before. Once you figure out which drive the external device is, Right click on it and from the box you need to select "Properties". Another box should pop up with information. You should see under "Type:" it should say "Local Disc" and right beneath it is "File System" and beside it it should indicate "FAT32" or "NTFS". If it says "NTFS" you need to format it to "FAT32". You do this by exiting the box you currently have open. You need to again right click on the device drive and this time you need to select "Format...". From here a box should again pop up and you should be able to tell it that you want to format it to FAT32.

Please note Before you format it to FAT32, kindly take a backup the file and folder to your system that you have on your external storage device onto your Desktop so that it saves you from downloading the OFW and re-create the folders. Once you have external storage device formatted, just restore the backup files that you had stored on your desktop. And try using it again I am sure this time you wont get that message again.