Thread: HP Pavilion dv9700 laptop does not detect DVD/CD-ROM drive.

HP Pavilion dv9700 laptop does not detect DVD/CD-ROM drive.

I have a HP Pavilion dv9700 laptop which has Windows Vista 64-bit operating system installed in it. When I had bought it, it was working perfectly fine. But now when I use it, it is not showing me the DVD/CD-ROM drive in My Computer. It does not detect that drive at all and shows no existence of it. When I searched for it in the Device Manager, I could not even find the drive there. It must display my DVD/CD-ROM drive as “Drive E:” in the Device Manager, but I don’t find any sign of it. I even tried to search it in the BIOS page, but was not successful in finding it there. I would be really grateful to them who will find me a solution to this problem. I am not able to see any movies in my laptop from any dvd, please help me.

Re: HP Pavilion dv9700 laptop does not detect DVD/CD-ROM drive.

I had the same problem with my HP laptop, so I tried this method. Try following these steps and see if it works:

1. Click the Start Menu and then click on Run.
    2. Then type “sysdm.cpl” on Run prompt and then click on OK. Now, a system option dialog prompt will appear.
    3. Enter hardware options, and then click on device manager. There you will find the “DVD/CD-ROM drive” icon, double click on it.
    4. Now, you will find “AOPEN DUW1608/ARR”, double click on it. A dialog prompt will appear, enter drive option and choose to update the driver.
    5. Now choose to install from a list of positions. Click Next and keep choosing. Do not search, just auto choose the driver to install.
    6. Click on Next, and then a hardware compatible window will prompt. Then choose “CD-ROM Drive [IMAPI settings 1,5]” and click Next to finish installation according to the direction.
    7. Once you have finished with the installation, you will be able to access your DVD/CD-ROM drive in My Computer.

I followed the above method but was unable to solve my problem. I tried to search many websites, but couldn’t find any appropriate solutions regarding my problem. Then I tried some alterations in the BIOS page and it worked for me. This is what I did:

1. Go to the BIOS page.
    2. There you will find Settings.
    3. Load Default Settings.
    4. Now, your drive will be detected there.
    5. Save the settings and exit from BIOS.

The problem could also be of registry. So, you need to follow these steps to solve that problem:

1. Go to Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories, and then click Run.
    2. Type regedit, and then click OK. Type the password or click Allow.
    3. Locate the navigation pane and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. Click UpperFilters in the right pane.
    5. Now, open the Edit Menu and click on Delete and then on Yes.
    6. Click LowerFilters in the right pane.
    7. Now, open the Edit Menu and click on Delete and then on Yes.
    8. Exit the Registry Editor and the reboot your laptop.
    9. Now, your problem will be solved and you will be able to view your DVD/CD-ROM drive.

idea Re: HP Pavilion dv9700 laptop does not detect DVD/CD-ROM drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanakpriya View Post
    The problem could also be of registry. So, you need to follow these steps to solve that problem:

1. Go to Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories, and then click Run.
    2. Type regedit, and then click OK. Type the password or click Allow.
    3. Locate the navigation pane and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. Click UpperFilters in the right pane.
    5. Now, open the Edit Menu and click on Delete and then on Yes.
    6. Click LowerFilters in the right pane.
    7. Now, open the Edit Menu and click on Delete and then on Yes.
    8. Exit the Registry Editor and the reboot your laptop.
    9. Now, your problem will be solved and you will be able to view your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
    Trying all recommendations including the last one with register error, DVD/CD is still not detected my the Windows 7 operating system. Anyone have any further suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Trying all recommendations including the last one with register error, DVD/CD is still not detected my the Windows 7 operating system. Anyone have any further suggestions
    It seems that it is a common problem with the HP Pavilion dv9700 laptop that doesnt detect the cd/dvd drive after some time because of some faulty motherboard. So if your HP Pavilion dv9700 is under warranty then you could try to replace the motherboard for same and check if that solves the issue for you.