Thread: Motorola Xoom: USB Storage Mode

Motorola Xoom: USB Storage Mode

This is one of those disconnect between the materials / marketing / training and the actual device. XOOM Handbook states that while connected to a computer Xoom can operate in either MTP or Mass Storage mode. That means it can be seen as a standard USB storage protocol or you can talk with Microsoft Media Player MTP 11/Windows etc. If you ask Verizon Reps and buy people who will echo the similar thing that the device works as a USB storage device (seems like a hard drive while connected to a PC) and can as well function as an MTP device. (Well, at least, the representatives who had read their exercise materials). So I guess the question is: Where is the USB storage mode / mass storage mode? Anyone have any idea on this?

Re: Motorola Xoom: USB Storage Mode

You can amass files on the Xoom, but on each windows box I have attempted. On each Linux box and Mac I have attempted it just turns up as a MTP appliance. The key dissimilarity between MTP mode and Mass Storage mode is how it comes up, which has to do with how the computer is in fact seeing the device and communicating with it. Mass Storage/USB Mode: While device is plugged in it comes up as a Driver letter similar to any added drive. MTP Mode: Comes up as a device name, in this case "XOOM" below the My Computer symbol.

PPM is a great improvement over the USB mass storage - for devices with a large amount of internal memory, a manufacturer no longer has to come to a hard partition between the USB mass storage and memory. Instead, everyone is in a partition, with the medium-term access to multimedia files directory that would normally be available via USB mass storage. This means it is no longer necessitate for applications on the SD card for this type of devices, as it used to be the "internal SD card" is on the similar partition where applications are amassed. The storage device can be utilized for either programs or media, based on what you place into it. You are not wedged with the amount of space the manufacturer determined to leave for the two areas.

I have an additional query in regard to being able to set up Documents on the Go through Bluetooth. While going via the setup wizard on my PC, the wizard for Documents on the Go circumstances that the Xoom isn't attached and won't obtain past that point as it seems for the user to turn on the USB Mass Storage or Mount the SD. So does this "improvement" in how storage is griped on the Xoom now cancel out the ability to share the documents through Bluetooth, now limiting access through USB connection?

I don't think enabling the host form for the USB with mass storage support will immobilize existing alternatives for Bluetooth (they are dissimilar interfaces). Bluetooth is extremely sluggish compared to USB or Wi-Fi transfer paces and connection to storage device through Bluetooth is inadequate. I would think you could transfer files through any of the three techniques you decide, so USB just becomes another storage option.

Documents to go's desktop client isn't capable to sync up with any Honeycomb supported device as it doesn't talk MTP at present. Earlier in March tech support said they were functioning on the trouble, but didn't have an ETA. You might wish to unlock a support ticket with it so there are conscious of all the users who necessitate the MTP support for their desktop client. Were you planning on doing your data synchronization with your PC through Bluetooth? I wasn't conscious that DTG had a Bluetooth sync option.