Thread: How to increase the performance of Kinect sensor

How to increase the performance of Kinect sensor

Hey guys, I recently saw many videos and Ads related to the new Microsoft kinect sensor for Xbox. It seem to be so amazing that yesterday itself I purchased my new Xbox Kinect sensor. It is truly amazing. But as I am very new to this I had few queries. Just wanted to know how I can make it possible to get the best optimum result out of my Kinect sensor and get the best performance. Please anyone who have an experience using this device or any information of it, guide me to get my issues solved. Your help will always be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: How to increase the performance of Kinect sensor

The position of your kinect sensor will play an important role in determining the performance of your kinect sensor. So I would suggest you to avoid keeping it under direct sunlight. That will degrade the performance to considerable amount. Following are the points included in good lighting:
    • The room should be brightly lit.
    • You must make sure that the room in which you have placed your Kinect sensor is having enough light so that you are atleast able to see your face clearly.
    • You should keep the side and the back light to its minimum, especially if the light is projected form window.
    • Always make sure the player is in the front side, which is similar to, when you clicking pictures of the player.
    • Avoid positioning the kinect sensor or the player in direct sunlight as this will create conditions which will make it hard for the kinect sensor device to identify or track the movements of the player.

You should remember not to manually tilt the sensor; the kinect sensor will adjust automatically. It automatically tilts up and down as per the requirement of the situation. The sensor will automatically tilt down to search for the floor, and then it will automatically tilt up to search for the players in the play space. To adjust the kinect sensor’s viewing angle, I would suggest you to use Kinect Tuner. You can visit the following official website of Xbox support to learn how to do so.

To get proper performance it is recommend that you better keep the kinect sensor at correct height and position. The sensor seems to works to its optimum level when it is placed between the height of 2 feet (0.6 m) and 6 feet (1.8 m) off the floor. It is also suggested by most of the technical people that the ideal position to keep the sensor 6 inches (15 cm) above or below the TV set. If the kinect sensor is kept in a room which is small, then it is better if you keep the sensor close to 6 feet (1.8m) as much as possible.

Note that you should always avoid placing your Kinect sensor anywhere near to the speaker or any other vibrating surface. Maintain at least a distance of about 1ft (0.3m) between your kinect sensor and your speaker. And if you have kept your TV volume very loud then it is recommended to keep the distance to about 3 feet (0.9m) or more. Always refrain yourself from keeping your sensor above the console or any other electronic device or any other device which is vibrating. Also remember that the sensor need to capture the entire body of the player, so if you keep it away from the edge of the surface in which you have placed it, the sensor won’t be able to capture your feet.

You should place you kinect sensor to some place where it can freely move without much problems. Make sure you have kept the beow instructions into consideration while positioning your sensor.
    1. Make sure you have not placed the sensor directly behind the cabinet doors or not even behind any kind of even glass doors or on a shelf which is narrow.
    2. Always place your sensor somewhere, where it can easily tilt and adjust itself automatically without much issues.
    3. Remove any kind of packing foam, if you find it somewhere in between the head of your sensor and the base of it.
    4. Always make sure that you have centered the sensor horizontally
    5. The censor seems to work the best when placed at the center of your TV and not on any particular side of it.