Thread: Broken Usb Port (Seagate External Hard Drive)

Broken Usb Port (Seagate External Hard Drive)

hello friends, I am having one Seagate Momentus 5400.2 100GB External Hard Drive. Two days ago I accidentally dropped it due to which the USB port broke out. When I picked it up i observed that its USB is broken from its circuit board. I felt very bad as it was only two months old. I used this external hard disk for storing all my important files, softwares and other important data. Now I cannot access the drive so I fear that all the data may be lost. Is it possible to get it repaired or do I have to get the new circuit board. Please help.

Re: Broken Usb Port (Seagate External Hard Drive)

Sorry to hear about your external hard drive. If the USB port is broken then there is a chance of getting it repaired but depends on how it is broken. if the port has just got detached and the connections from the circuit has got unsolder, then it is possible to repair. Just open the casing and solder the USB port to the circuit board. in case if there no chance of getting the port soldered, you have to call the Seagate support and tell them the problem. They will guide you. Your external drive is under warranty period so they may repair it at free of cost.

If the USB port is detached and broken from the circuit board then there is very less chance of getting it repaired. But don’t worry about your data and files, it will not be lost. You can get one new external case that has everything inside it except the hard drive. So you can take out the hard drive from the broken one and put it in the new casing. But you have to get the similar external case as that of the original one. So when you order it, don’t forget to quote the correct model number.

I think you should call the Seagate support number and tell the support team whatever happened with the external hard drive. You said earlier that it is only two months and the external hard drive comes with minimum of one year warranty. Your external hard drive covers warranty and so both the case and the Hard drive inside covers warranty too. Seagate support team will help you and suggest you what you have to do. Don’t change or open the case, this may void the warranty of your external hard drive.

if the USB port has detached from the circuit board then the easiest solution is to find a person who is professional in soldering. Take the external drive to him and get the USB port soldered to the circuit board. Make sure that hard drive inside the case is not damaged and is working fine. If the hard drive is damaged, then there no point of buying a new case. You can test the hard drive by connecting it directly to the computer motherboard. If the hard drive is working then you can get the new casing for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlina View Post
    hello friends, I am having one Seagate Momentus 5400.2 100GB External Hard Drive. Two days ago I accidentally dropped it due to which the USB port broke out. When I picked it up i observed that its USB is broken from its circuit board. I felt very bad as it was only two months old. I used this external hard disk for storing all my important files, softwares and other important data. Now I cannot access the drive so I fear that all the data may be lost. Is it possible to get it repaired or do I have to get the new circuit board. Please help.
    Ebay has a SATA to USB with power cord for 8 bucks it saved me some money. You have to remove the housing so it will void your warranty but it will work and the warranty won't.