Thread: Acer TravelMate 4200 shutting down while using DVD drive

Acer TravelMate 4200 shutting down while using DVD drive

Hello guys, I am using Acer TravelMate 4200 from last few months and it is running Windows Vista Operating system in it. Everything was working smoothly with my laptop till yesterday night. But from today morning whenever I try to close the DVD tray after using the DVD drive, my laptop shuts down automatically by itself without any warning. What could be the reason behind this? Does anyone have any solution to solve this problem of mine? Please help me by posting your kind suggestions.

Re: Acer TravelMate 4200 shutting down while using DVD drive

I am not sure about this but viruses are one thing which can cause any problem in our computer system. It might be possible that your system might be under some virus treats, which must have affected the files controlling the functioning of DVD drive or the shutdown of your laptop. I would therefore suggest you to perform complete scan of your system and delete all the files which are detected as having some infection along with them. Always remember to keep your antivirus updated and to perform system scanning every now and then.

You should upgrade your drivers related to your DVD drive and also the BIOS of your system. An outdated driver can also cause your system to malfunction and thus resulting in all this problems. You can install the latest available drivers an update for your system from the official websites of the respective hardware and software you wish to update. Like if you want to install the latest drivers for your Acer laptop, than you can visit the official website of Acer. IF you want to get windows update then you can keep the auto update option of your Windows VISTA ON.

I would suggest you to do the restore your system to an older instance, when your system was working fine. You can do this by performing System Restore. System restore will roll back your system to the point (the restore point which your chose). But this will uninstall all the installed programs and applications that you must have added after the date of your choosed restore point.
    • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
    • Select the Restore point and click on Next button.
    • Restart the system when it is prompted to do so.

You must check whether you have installed any application or installed any update which must be causing this problem to your system. Sometimes many applications which you install in your system have compatibility issue with the other program installed in your system. And this compatibility issue leads to many issues which hamper the normal functioning of the system. It you are able to find the program which is causing this problem, then I would suggest you to get rid of that program as soon as possible.

According to me the DVD drive of your Acer laptop has either got damaged or else there is some loose connections inside the laptop. A hardware problem is highly possible. So it is advisable that you send your laptop to the Acer Service center and get the problem solved. The technical staff will be able to rectify the exact problem, whether it has as issue with the hardware or software. And accordingly the problem will be solved. If your laptop has got warranty then you can get the repairing done for free or else be ready to shell out some money.