Thread: On-screen volume level indicator missing after windows 7 upgrade on Toshiba Portege R500 laptop

On-screen volume level indicator missing after windows 7 upgrade on Toshiba Portege R500 laptop

One week ago I performed clean install of Windows 7 in my Toshiba Portege R500 laptop after it had crashed because of some issue. After using the new Windows 7 in my Toshiba laptop, I realized that the on-screen volume level indicator (The green color bars which tell the user the level of volume) has disappeared from the taskbar. So I wanted to know how I can get it back. Any suggestions then please help me and give me your solutions. Your suggestions will be appreciated for sure.

Re: On-screen volume level indicator missing after windows 7 upgrade on Toshiba Portege R500 laptop

I am not sure about the Toshiba laptop’s as I am not using it, but the solution which I know has worked for many other computers. So I would suggest you to give that solution a try, who knows if you lucky enough then the solution would solve your issue. To make the on-screen volume indicator appear again on your desktops taskbar, follow the following path:
    • Click on Start button or the Windows Orb in case of Windows 7.
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Now click on “Sound and Audio devices”
    • Select the “Place volume icon in taskbar”
    • Apply the setting and confirm the settings by clicking on OK button.

Re: On-screen volume level indicator missing after windows 7 upgrade on Toshiba Portege R500 laptop

You said you were able to see those on-screen volume level indicator on the first week of installing the Windows 7 OS in your Toshiba Portege R500 laptop. So I would give you the best possible solution at this moment according to me. You should perform System restore of your computer to a restore point where you feel the problem did not exist. Go to the following location and perform System Restore:
    1. Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
    2. Click Next button, if you have never did System restore before. Go to step 4
    3. Choose “Choose a different restore point” option, if System restore was done before. Click Next.
    4. Now you have to select the restore point. Your Windows 7 will roll back the settings to this point
    5. Click on Finish button
    6. For confirmation of your decision, click on Yes.
    7. On restart, just click on Close button.

I am assuming that you are talking about vertical slider that appears just above the sound icon in the taskbar. If you wish to enable the vertical slider then you can do that by following these few simple steps:
    • Right click on the task bar of your Windows screen.
    • Select Properties of the given options.
    • Now Select the “Notification Area” tab
    • Check (tick) the checkbox next to Volume
    • Apply the settings by clicking on OK button.
    • Refresh your windows and see the changes.

The missing On-screen volume level indicator can be because of some missing drivers or utilities. So I would suggest you to install all the drivers for your Windows 7 running Toshiba Portege R500 laptop. You can search for the desired drivers for your laptop on Internet and download it from there. It would be better if you download the drivers and all the Utilities for your laptop from the official website of Toshiba. This will guarantee that you are downloading from a trusted site so the chances of downloading some corrupt file will be minimized. Also Installed the Toshiba utilities particularly Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows 7 (TVAP). Restart your laptop once you are done installing all the necessary drivers and utilities for your laptop.

I am very much pleased with the way you guys responded so instantly to my thread. The replies were super fast and perfectly on the topic. The replies were amazingly good, and were exactly what I was looking forward to. It was so generous and kind of every one of your guys to repl to my thread, at the moment when I was desperately waiting for replies, so that I could solve my problem as quick as possible. Once again thank you all for your helpful replies.