Thread: Borders Goes up against B&N Nook

Borders Goes up against B&N Nook

It seems that, Borders has determined to jump into the fight by adopting Kobo Reader, as well as iPhone, Android and BlackBerry applications. I know not anything regarding Kobo Reader, guess I will have to head in excess of Mobile Read and read up on it-- but just because of the Android application. I have no thought if this is nice or just another mismatched DRM scheme. Anyone have any idea or any suggestion on this?

Re: Borders Goes up against B&N Nook

I have the iPod application and downloaded a gratis book, but have just played with it a slight. Up to now, I am not excessively impressed. While I tapped the "Bookmark" key and it told me I required a Kobo account to situate a bookmark, well, let's just say my cynicism level hit the stratosphere. But I will set aside judgment until I have extra time with it. It emerges that they are going to utilize Adobe DRM, so the industry may be groping towards a normal there. In any case, I can give you as a minimum 100 reasons its "good", that's the dissimilarity in price between the Kobo reader and the Nook and Kindle.

Yes, the Kobo Reader utilizes Adobe DRM, so not just can you read Kobo books you can as well download and interpret public library eBooks if your library supports them. I don't know much regarding the reader (though I have been well-informed on kobo's PR about maybe reviewing it for Gear Diary while it's out in the USA), but I do know the group. Their Smartphone applications are humanizing, their Android application is called Short covers and it's terrible, evil don't trouble till they release their Kobo edition with any luck later this month.

Here I just wish to add something in this case. As I have few information or knowledge in this, there was a very optimistic state of Kobo in the Times in the last some days as part of a summary of eBook readers. While it establishes flaws in all of the editions of platforms or applications, Kobo looks to come out the best. DTM's warning regarding needing the account and all is troubling though. The article didn't state that.

The reason you require an account is that Kobo utilizes a "sync across any device" plan, if you are reading a book on your iPhone and bookmark it, you can register into your account at Kobobooks site and begin reading from that bookmark. Up to now the Kobo Reader will be able to synchronize with Blackberries over Bluetooth, and I assume them preparation to put in additional platforms. I guess they went BT over Wi-Fi for cheapness.

I have reviewed the Kobo Readers, they are superb devices. Very well constructed and they are outstanding for reading. However, there's no software or add-on software for them to put in functionality. Aside from reading, you can't put in a calendar, or even have input further than the QWERTY which pops up to shop the Kobo store. And there's no Touchscreen, so you utilize the d-pad to choose letters. Its well for short ruptures like a writer name or a title, but it would be dreadful for anything further, which is why the software is so basics. Not much else they can append to it.