Thread: Getting 'INF' error on Zen Vision M

Getting 'INF' error on Zen Vision M

I've tried a Zen Vision: M AND a Zen V. got the 'INF' error message both times. Could it possibly be that the MTP requires USB 2.0 to work? Neither player charged, even though when i plugged it in the computer didn’t recognize it. Someone said USB 1.1 will not work for MTP transfers? So I’m going tomorrow to upgrade my USB's to 2.0. Hopefully that will fix it.

Re: Getting 'INF' error on Zen Vision M

Well it's not the usb 2.0 issue. I’m not sure what fixed it but I’m up and running now. The biggest thing I did was remove old Jukebox 3 drivers that were installed from my computer from last year when I had a Zen micro. I uninstalled the Zen vision:m and reinstalled everything and Voila! I’m not sure why creative has so many software/driver issues but maybe they'll get it fixed in the future.

Man, what a relief. I have been emailing with Creative tech support for two weeks on the road. Got home today, talked to Creative tech support, their response - it's a Windows problem and it’s not a USB problem. Had about given up. Found this post, downloaded the file and damned if my Dell laptop didn’t recognize the Vision: M instantly. Thank you!

Other than the umdf.exe file, which was obtained from Microsoft's site all the other drivers needed are on the Creative web site under Support. Downloads. Just need to select which device you have and select drivers at the file type drop down. As far as finding out if any drivers are already installed, use add remove programs in the windows control panel. Look for any creative drivers like Creative Jukebox Driver or NOMAD explorer or as in my case Zen Touch Media Explorer (for Plays For Sure devices). Hope this helps!

First off I would like to state the obvious, why wouldn't they include an .inf file with everything that is needed for this nice looking Zen V when it is all that Windows XP wants. Driver signing and all that jazz has done nothing to fix this problem that sounds a little unnecessary. The Hardware Update Wizard pops up after installing all the necessary Zen V software (typical so far). Now I come to the spot where Windows (doesn't really matter what version of windows they all do the same thing) wants to install the driver for the hardware and make everything kosher. Well then all of a sudden just before Christmas the developers decide not to include an .inf (why would they do that?). Now creative labs customer support and Windows XP support can give me all the run around I could bear to tolerate but no thanks I'll just take it back and buy an a player where the .inf file is included. This after all would be much more tolerable than hearing a bunch of IT techs tell me how I have to reinstall, update, reboot, and contact the other IT guy just to do something as common as saving a file. I'm sure there is no help out there for it would have come on the installation disk if this mysterious .inf file did exist.

Iam receiving the INF Error. I had already installed the umdf.exe file and helped with INF problem but now my computer doesn’t detect my Zen Vision M. But on the screen on my Zen, it shows that it is docked but then it disconnects itself from my computer within about 5 or so seconds. It works fine on my laptop but the only problem is that my laptop is a little slow on usb transfers and all my music and movies are on my desktop. So if you have a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've been having this exact same problem with my Samsung YP-K3 for the past 2 days and I was so upset because it installed without a problem on my mom's laptop but not mine. I goggled the error phrase "a service installation section in this INF is invalid" and looked at every single help forum that came up - all useless. Then today I read about the MTP protocol that my player uses, and threw that in a Google search along with "INF" and found this page. I downloaded the .exe file from the Microsoft webpage and sure enough, now my mp3 player works great. Thanks so much! I have renewed faith in the power of internet message boards.