Thread: Vado HD: Won't turn on

Vado HD: Won't turn on

In recent times I have received my Vado HD in the mail and it won't turn on. When I plug it in to charge it the screen turns on and I can see through the lenses for a second then it goes to the charging screen but won't turn on after I unplug it. I tried it right when I got it. It didn't work and I thought it was the battery so I charged it overnight and when I tried it in the morning it still wouldn't work. The battery is in right and it is fully charged, or so it says.

Re: Vado HD: Won't turn on

I am having the same issue right now for the 2nd time. It happened right out of the box the first day I got it. When I plugged it into the USB port on the PC when it was off, it did not connect or turn on. Now when I disconnect it, it still does not power up. When I take the battery out and reinsert it, it's fine but this still concerns me. I sent an email to Creative about it and will let you know what they say.

I'm having the same exact problem. I just received my new Vado HD 2 days ago and it won't power on. I've let it charge for over 8 hours but I get nothing when it's not plugged into the USB port. I've taken the battery out a number of times and it's definitely in correctly. This is very frustrating and I'm getting ready to just send it back.

Creative suggested that I download the firmware off the website. This was difficult at first because the Vado wouldn't connect. After a frustrating 15 minutes of unplugging it and powering it on and off, it finally connected and I was able to upgrade the firmware. Haven't had any problems since but I'm quite disappointed in Creative right now for putting me through that.

With so many people having this same problem, it sounds to me like Creative has a hardware problem that needs to be addressed. Now I have to send my Vado HD back to Newegg for a replacement and I'm out $8 for the return shipping. Who knows how long it's going to take for the replacement to get to me. Now I wish that I had bought the Kodak instead of Creative.

I have Vado HD gen 2 that I bought through this site. It turned on using the power button once after i charged it over night, now the only way I can get it to turn on is by plugging it into my computer (then unplugging). That power is on and I can use it with no problems until I turn it off again, then it no longer works. Kind of frustrating when I took it to a play last night to film my son and I couldn't get the stupid thing to turn on. It has all of the available updates from the support section. How do I go about returning this thing if I bought it here? I am very disappointed.

I was having the same issue. Charged over night and nothing. Did some Google searching and nothing worked. Simple solution: Battery is installed wrong. Now before you say "I know how to install a battery", look again. Like all batteries one side has the contacts. So of course you installed the battery with the contacts facing the contacts in the Vado. But unlike most batteries you can install this battery upside down. You may think the contacts are making contact, but they are not. You need to turn the battery over. The side with the writing needs to be face up. This may not solve everyone's "won't turn on" issue, but from all the posts I have read I think it will solve many. Hope this helps.

I had my VADO HD (Gen 3) for a few days before I got around to trying using it. It wouldn’t' turn on out of the box, which didn't surprise me. But, after the required charging time (7hrs) it still will not work! Will not power on and appears dead, except when I connect it to my PC (WinVista) I can get a brief response (usb symbol and a blank white bar) I sent an email to Support, but when I joined this Forum I was immediately disappointed to see that many others have had the same problem! And to make it worse, all the Posts are dated back for at least a couple of years! If Creative VADO's have had this problem this long then why haven't they fixed it? I also am very disappointed and it looks like the solution is to return it, with all the delay and frustration and shipping fees involved. Anybody just tried to ask for their money back?

Re: Vado HD: Won't turn on: Solution!

I had the same problem.
    I orderd a new battery, and if solved the isue, it works fine now

Hello everyone

I have had my Vado HD for now a bit more than 2 years and it started to have issues about 2 weeks ago...
    I tried to find why my vado didn't want to turn on when I pressed the power button or didn't want to turn off when I pressed the same button when it was disconnected from usb plug.
    And I understood that my vado had a problem with the power button
    And I found something that could help to "solve" this:
    I ordered an emergency usb battery (2$ on eBay) that I have to plug with usb plug on my vado. So now I can turn my vado on (by plugging the emergency usb battery)
    But to turn it off I still have to wait 3 minutes