Thread: How to turn off touchpad of Dell Studio Laptop

How to turn off touchpad of Dell Studio Laptop

Hi, I am using Dell Studio laptop from past one month and it is running Windows Vista in it. I am not that comfortable with the touchpad so I recently brought Logitech wireless mouse to use it instead of the touchpad. So I wanted to know how I can disable the touchpad of my Dell Studio Laptop so that I can use my wireless mouse without much interference from the touchpad. Does anyone have any solution for my problem? Your suggestions would be appreciated. So please help me.

Re: How to turn off touchpad of Dell Studio Laptop

The touchpad usually does not interfere with the performance of the wireless mouse. You should check if the touchpad creates any trouble while you are using wireless mouse or not. And if it is not creating any issue then you should probably leave things as they are and do not mess with the laptop settings. Because I have also used a mouse without disabling the touchpad and it created no problem for me, so probably it should not be an issue for your laptop also.

• If you can see the Dell Touchpad icon near the clock in the system tray then double click it to open the Dell Touchpad Window.
    • Click on the Device Select option to get into it.
    • Now in the Device Select tab you will find the “Disable Touchpad / Pointing Stick when external USB Mouse is present.” checkbox at the bottom part of the windows.
    • Check the option and Apply the new settings.
    • Finally click on OK button and restart your system. Check for the changes you did once your system has booted.

You should probably search for a button like thing near the touchpad of your Dell Studio laptop. Some laptops are provided with buttons near the touchpad to disable and enable the touchpad on the wish of the user. You can perform enabling and disabling of touchpad by just with the push of that button. If you don’t have any such button then you can also turn off the touchpad of laptop by pressing the Fn + function key. Or else you can even turn off the touchpad from the BIOS.

• Disabling of touchpad is very easy and can be done in various ways. You can disable it even by going to the “device manager” and going to the “mouse and other pointing devices”. You can go to the device manager by right clicking on the My Computer and selecting Properties. There you have to go to the Hardware tab and select Device Manager.

Or else you can change the touchpad settings by going to the following path:
    • Start > Control Panel > Mouse > Mouse Properties > Device Settings > Settings > Tappings.
    • Check or uncheck the “enabling Tapping” to enable or disable the touchpad respectively.

It seems like this is one the most common issue among laptop users. After some time everyone wants to disable there Touchpad and try their hands of wireless mouse which seems to be more comfortable. I know a fix for this problem.
    • You just need to go to C:\ Program Files\DellTpad; and double click on the tpad executable file.
    • Now click on the “Device” icon, which you will find on the upper left side of the window.
    • Finally, click on the “Disable the Tpad” checkbox and apply the changes.
    • Click Ok and restart your laptop.