Thread: How to use Dell Laser Printer 1700 with a Macintosh iMac

How to use Dell Laser Printer 1700 with a Macintosh iMac

I have a Macintosh iMac with OS 9.2 in it. Recently I purchased a new Dell Laser Printer 1700 for some personal reasons. Now my problem is that I am not been able to use it as of yet. This is because I don’t know how to go about it. So are there any drivers or any way to use this printer with a Macintosh iMac with OS 9.2? Please reply to this question immediately as I am in urgent need of it. So I am waiting for your replies.

Re: How to use Dell Laser Printer 1700 with a Macintosh iMac

I am not very sure about the OS 9.2 but it I am very sure that it works very well with OS X and a Lexmark E232 driver. But before proceeding further can you please tell some more details on from where you got the Dell Laser Printer 1700.But I feel that Dell Laser Printer 1700 is not that compatible with Macintosh iMac. For that reason I am considering buying the printer but probably I am confident that my MAC can make it go.

I just had a look at your issue and then did a research on how to fix it. After doing that I have found out that the Dell 1700 is a re branded Lexmark E232.For me it’s really very surprising. So if this is the case then the Lexmark E232 drivers which are available for download for Mac OS 8, 9 and 10 on the Lexmark website should work fine. So you can just get those drivers and everything else will work properly for you.

Even I am having this same issue. I just had a look at the previous solution and I am just hesitating to go forward with it. So can anyone just tell me or confirm that based on their experience with the Dell Laser Printer 1700? The only thing that is hesitating me is that if the drivers are so readily available then why would Dell tell me that the 1700 is not Mac compatible? Why wouldn't Dell provide the Mac drivers themselves? This is the main worry.

I think that you just need to get the Lexmark E232 drivers to make the Dell Laser Printer 1700 work. I used the same procedure when I was in trouble and it confirms that the OS X 10.4.3 and Lexmark E232 drivers work for the 1710 printer. You can get those drivers if you visit the web site for Lexmark. There are the drivers that you require are available and you just need to get it installed and then it will surely fix the problem that you have been facing from many days.

Thanks a lot for all your solutions. It has really worked for me. I just got the Lexmark E232 drivers which are available for download for Mac. As mentioned I got it from the Lexmark website. I would suggest all who are facing with this similar issue to use the same method to fix such king of issue. I suppose this printer is the most amazing thing that I've ever owned. So I would once again like to thank you and appreciate you for your solutions as they helped me a lot.

Help!! I have mac osx 10.9.4 and a dell 1700 laser printer. While the mac recognizes the dell 1700 it just prints jibberish as a single line on multiple pages. I have downloaded the drivers for the Lexmark E232 as suggested and the download was successful but this is not helping. When I go to the print utility it tells me the printer is offline. Dell is noting the 1700 is not Mac compatible but this appears to be wring when others on this post have worked a solution

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Help!! I have mac osx 10.9.4 and a dell 1700 laser printer. While the mac recognizes the dell 1700 it just prints jibberish as a single line on multiple pages. I have downloaded the drivers for the Lexmark E232 as suggested and the download was successful but this is not helping. When I go to the print utility it tells me the printer is offline. Dell is noting the 1700 is not Mac compatible but this appears to be wring when others on this post have worked a solution
    You are using the latest version of Mac OS X on which the printer might not be supported. But in any case, you can try to search for a guide called "Install Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks on Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700 with NVidia graphics" on google and you will find the appropriate solutions for your queries.