Thread: Dell Latitude D630 Video not working properly

Dell Latitude D630 Video not working properly

I have a Dell Latitude D630 and I use regularly in a docking station PR01X. I noticed recently that if you undock the laptop while it is on, then open the screen there are a lot of color artifacts on the screen. The display flashes briefly then the screen are normal. Nvidia driver also crashed yesterday to see a YouTube video. Not sure if this is related. Therefore, I contacted Dell support and the laptop is still under warranty and asked me to do some diagnostics. I met the diagnostic boot before application is made and when the screen is the screen test, which displays a solid color on the screen, the first two colors (black and white) have a lot of black flickering lines.

Re: Dell Latitude D630 Video not working properly

It is likely that a GPU is not - for that is well known that Nvidia chip. Dell replaced the motherboard under warranty. Nvidia has claimed for a while solved the problem. So you will get what they say is a "fixed" chip. There are plenty of engineers who have looked into the issue and Nvidia claim that they never actually fix the problem. So you find nonconforming opinions out there.

I had one of this myself. The girl in the phone told me that cover the substitution of the motherboard, the video is part of, until one year after the end of the warranty. Luckily, I was still under warranty, and was able to get the little rubber feet stuff too! Mine easily disappear. It also may be asked to replace the motherboard with an Intel GMA models. This is not to use the Nvidia chip and never had any troubles encountered by machines D620/D630.

To be fair enough, when I had bought a new laptop, I paid extra for the enthusiastic NVIDIA GPU to even consider their replacement by cheaper Intel without refund. The Dell engineer came last Thursday and replaced the motherboard and LCD screen. Then I sold the laptop before the problems have been developed and then I bought a new Dell Latitude E6400, with a higher requirement for less money than I have for the Dell Latitude D630, so I'm happy.

I work for an IT support company based in United States of America which provided a lot of these laptops to customers and we have found the difficulty they have had, many of our customers use docking stations and various other accessories, and sometimes this trouble has happened to them. The assets to be a difficulty with a GPU not, and we confirmed Nvidia boards replaced. Dell, where more than happy to substitute the motherboard for us since the matter was still under warranty.

Thank you very much for the answers, which are more or less what I was thinking to be honest. However, if Dell replaced the motherboard is the Nvidia chip will be the same or will be a version of "permanent"? My apprehension is that the laptop warranty expires this year and I will not be a great deal with a Dell laptop after the warranty expires, particularly if it is a known problem.