Thread: How to stop the Nvidia graphic card to use the huge share memory in the Vostro 3500

How to stop the Nvidia graphic card to use the huge share memory in the Vostro 3500

Hello there, I have just got a Vostro 3500 having i5 processor and NVIDIA GeForce 310M video card. The thing is that the card is using the shared memory system, the amount of the memory that is been used is almost high, there is 4GB RAM in it and almost 2.68 is been used, the BIOS give me no way to adjust the usage of the shared memory in the video card. Neither I am able to go in the nvidia control panel so that I can alter that. I have also went in the boot option with the MSCONFIG but I am not able to clear the maximum memory that is been used in it. Please help me in this.

Re: How to stop the Nvidia graphic card to use the huge share memory in the Vostro 3500

Hello there, I have the similar issue in the laptop of mine, in my case the BIOS will be able to recognize all the memory that are present, but there is no presence of the shared memory in the system, it is really frustrating as I am not able to find the exact problem of this also it is been seen that the information of the same is not been present so that I am unable to tell anyone who wants to buy the laptop that why is the problem is been occurring, in windows the amount of the shared memory that is been used is around 2.68 GB out of the 4 GB.

Re: How to stop the Nvidia graphic card to use the huge share memory in the Vostro 3500

Hello there, I just went to your problem, the problem is that the operating system that you are using is not that compatible to use the memory management from it, hence you are using the windows 32 bit home premium, the mystery of sharing the memory is not been solved till now. Did you tried using the Ubuntu x64bits this is the free version operating system and it comes with the cd or you can download it and convert it into the Cd that will help you to not to install it in the laptop of yours. This thing always sees that the amount of the memory usage which is shared is not been high.

Hi there, do some one has a solution for this problem that I am facing. I have a similar Laptop and the configuration is also similar and been trying to find a solution to 'usable memory' issue form many days. I am planning to give a call to the Dell Support people but I doubt they will have the solution for the problem. Many have suggested that try checking the BIOS for memory map, also tried max memory approach in msconfig, checked NVidea settings, etc. but nothing is helping me in solving the problem. I am still not sure whether upgrading the operating system to Windows 64 bit will do any good for me. so please help me in this.

Hello friends, I tried calling the technical support people, and I addressed the issue that I was facing, but the people said that this issue is mainly happening because of the windows 7 which is running in the 32 bit mode, but it is better that you people run the same thing in the 64 bit mode, this will help you to overcome the problem, but I don’t think that this is the solution, my friends also have the same laptop and the same version of the operating system but the shared memory problem is not present in that, so now I conclude that neither the tech support people nor any one has the solution, this is one kind of the hardware issue which will be present in some of the laptop in it.

I had read some of the article in the blog regarding these kind of the problem, in that it was written that there is some kind of the option that are present in it, which will ask you to reboot the laptop and check for the GNS, in that the other option can been seen with the help of the various option that are present in it, just pick the value that you are comfortable with and see how it works with that options of yours, good luck with that, according to me this is done to set the amount of memory that has to be used by the graphic card.